help installing IKEA light fixture

Old 12-11-11, 02:20 PM
Lightbulb help installing IKEA light fixture

We live in a 50 year old house. The ceiling has 2 sets of black and white wires. One set is tied together with a wire nut. The other set was fixed to the old fixture. I want to install a new IKEA Kristallier fixture. It has white, black and green wires. It also has a green/yellow wire attached to the fixture itself, maybe it is the earth. I have no clue about these things.

I guess white to white and black to black, but what do I do with the green wires please?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-11, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
It connects to the same two wires the other fixture is connected to. Yellow green is a ground. If it is not a metal box or is a metal box supplied by cloth covered cable leave the ground disconnected. If the box is metal and metal conduit or metallic cable such as BX was used fasten the ground to the metal box.

However if the fixture is labeled 90C you probably can't connect directly to your wiring which is probably rated for only 60C.

Old 12-11-11, 03:37 PM
It has white, black and green wires. It also has a green/yellow wire attached to the fixture itself,
So, your new fixture has 4 wires, right? It has 1 black, 1 white, 1 green and 1 green/yellow, right?

Old 12-12-11, 07:23 AM
Yes. The white, black and green come from the center tube that runs out of the fixture. The green/yellow if just a piece of wire that is attached to the metal on the fixture.

Old 12-12-11, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Did my post help you understand how to connect it or do you need more help?

Old 12-12-11, 03:02 PM
For whatever reason, this fixture has two ground wires. Looks like one is dedicated to the metal housing and the other is for the light bulb holder or whatever is inside. So follow ray's advice accordingly.

Old 12-12-11, 06:10 PM
Ray gives good advice, but for my own curiosity, does the fixture hang from a chain?

Old 12-12-11, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
Ray gives good advice, but for my own curiosity, does the fixture hang from a chain?
I was wondering that also. If it does it may be 60 rated or at least reasonably safe to use on 60 wire.