Drummin89: Installimg conduit

Old 12-11-11, 04:33 PM
Drummin89: Installimg conduit

since the topic of this thread is about running wire in conduit I will ask my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm also installing plastic boxes and conduit in my unfinished basement and have a question about running stranded wire.

First the basement has 2 separate rooms, divided by a wall, the front room is somewhat "finished", it has walls that were built out from the foundation. Currently the way I ran the conduit is the conduit is about 3' above the floor in the first room, it goes through the wall at that height and then directly out of the wall I have a 90 and a section of conduit that goes up to the open floor joists above. Since this room is not finished and I don't have a need to have receptacles along this wall I'm not going to bother installing boxes directly on the foundation wall. At the other end of this room is a work bench that I put receptacle boxes on. These are going to be on the same circuit and I have conduit setup the same way, comes down from the open floor joists and has a 90 into the receptacles a few feet off the floor.

Now to my question...Can I run the stranded wire through the floor joists as I would romex or is that not allowed? If not I will just get 2 more 90's and 2 more 10' sections of conduit and attach it to the bottom of the rafters.

Last edited by drummin89; 12-11-11 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-11, 05:15 PM
If you mean run the individual conductors without conduit the answer is a big no. Conduit systems need to be complete from end to end before pulling any wire through them.

Remember that you may have a maximum of four 90 degree bends between access points, either a conduit body (T, L or C) or a device box.

Old 12-11-11, 05:27 PM
OK thanks, I will pickup a few lengths of conduit and 2 more 90's and run the conduit along the bottom of the floor joists.