what to check next?

Old 12-12-11, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what to check next?

I am trying to fix up a neglected house built in 1953. It's old but not in terrible shape. Just got electricity on. Of all the outlets in the house, only two oddly located ones work. No other wall outlet in house works. Bought a Sperry voltage tester. Definitely no power in any outlets. Took off breaker box panel. Tested every circuit breaker. All were good and the 120v light lit up. Does anyone out there know what I can check next? It is odd because I know for a fact all of these outlets worked before the previous occupants moved out and the electrical meter was removed by power company. Now I get new meter put in, get power, and no juice to outlets. Very confused on what next step should be. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-11, 05:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Using a wire connected to a known good ground check between the black and grounded wire at each receptacle. If you have a 120v you have an open neutral. That old a house they might all be on the same circuit with a bad neutral at the first bad receptacle. or last good recptacle

Tip: If you have a working grounded receptacle you can just plug in an extension cord with ground and use that for checking.

Old 12-13-11, 04:30 AM
non-working outlets.

thank you ray. I will check that and get back to you on the findings. Much appreciated.

Old 12-13-11, 02:24 PM
You need accurate voltage-tests across ALL the terminals , Breaker / Neutral , in the Service panel . This requires a digital multi-meter that can test for both 120 and 240 volts.

Old 12-13-11, 02:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This requires a digital multi-meter
I would disagree slightly. If you are going to get a cheap meter get an analog meter. Cheap digitals will sometimes show phantom voltages which can be misleading for an inexperienced user.

Old 12-13-11, 06:06 PM
Also if this house was empty for awhile, I've read that in some areas people go in and steal all the copper wiring they can get to. Might check the attic and basement/crawl space and see if it looks like wiring has been cut and taken.