Nflmvp: Wireless Door Bell Problem

Old 12-13-11, 07:58 AM
Nflmvp: Wireless Door Bell Problem

I have a wireless doorbell problem as well. I figured I might as well post about it here, rather than clutter up the forum with another thread.

I need a wireless doorbell for my basement. After two failures, I decided to do a little research and discovered that I have a couple of impediments to overcome.

The first is that the transmitter button is on the door by the garage, which is offset from the basement. This means that there are two potentials for concrete interference...the floor of the garage and the basement foundation wall (wait, make that three potentials for interference.....I have a cold storage below the garage slab, with 4 inches of poured concrete over 8 inches of spancrete, directly between the transmitter and chime, with no better locations to place either of them).

As the crow flies, the distance between the transmitter and the chime is about 30 feet but doorbells rated for both 75 and 150 feet have not worked. Likely, this is due to all the interference.

Hard wiring a doorbell is not an option so I need to find a doorbell capable of overcoming these interferences or I need to find a doorbell that I can add an "extender" to, to increase the range or strength of signal.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-13-11 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
I figured I might as well post about it here, rather than clutter up the forum with another thread.
Welcome to the forums. In the future please start your own thread. It just gets to confusing if you hijack a thread. Nobody knows whose answering what to whom.

Hard wiring a doorbell is not an option
What may not seem an option to you may have a solution one of us can help with. Details on why you don't think it is an option may help us help you.

Old 12-13-11, 05:14 PM
Wireless does not work in some areas and not through some walls. Perhaps you could wire a regular button to the wireless button and place that wireless button where it would work for the doorbell?

So just wire it part of the way.

And note an electrician can run wires anywhere. So if all else fails, call an electrician.

Old 12-14-11, 03:14 AM
What frequency is the doorbell using? Do you also have wireless alarms, garage door openers, wireless gas/electric meters or other wireless devices? If so, unplug them (except for the meters) and see if the doorbell works. At least you'll know why it doesn't work.

Old 12-19-11, 09:12 PM
Ray > Thanks. Duly noted. It's not an option because I don't have the money to retro fit...we're too far over budget as it is. This was an oversight on my part, when planning the addition. I don't want a permanent doorbell because my need for a doorbell is temporary and I don't want one there once I no longer need it. I didn't realize the limitations of a wireless doorbell so I'm trying to figure out a work around.

Bill > LOTS of concrete between the button and chime. The chime is not more than 40 feet from the button but there's a 4" slab with 8" of spancrete underneath and below that is a cold storage room with two foundation walls. The button is on the first floor, the chime is in the basement and the direct line of sight would be right through all that concrete. This is not a good time to find out that wireless chimes don't work very well through concrete.

I'm also trying to avoid an electrician at all costs.

Rick > I gave up on that wireless unit so I don't currently have one. There are plenty of other wireless devices that might interfere, besides the overhead door opener....wireless phones, wireless router/computers/smart devices, etc.

If there's any type of relay available, I have a straight, unobstructed line to a wall at the top of the stairs (about 26 feet), where I could place a relay. Then, down the stairwell, through a steel entry door (about 20 feet) to the outlet where I would plug the chime in.

So, short of retrofitting a wired doorbell, am I just screwed?

Old 12-20-11, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Not ideal but if you have a phone cable with an unused pair near where you want the chime and the button you might be able to use it.

Old 12-20-11, 07:29 AM
We did minimal phone wiring since there are so many wireless "satellite" phones available. Only three jacks in the entire area and none near the button or chime. :shrug: Thanks for the idea though.