Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing AUBE econoswitch to replace an oddly wired single-pole switch?

Installing AUBE econoswitch to replace an oddly wired single-pole switch?

Old 12-16-11, 10:06 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing AUBE econoswitch to replace an oddly wired single-pole switch?

I would like to do a single-pole installation of an AUBE econoswitch to replace a standard single-pole light switch that controls 3 fixtures on the exterior of my house.

I haven't had any issues with replacing switches in the past; however, this particular light switch is wired a bit differently than standard.

What is the proper way to install this to the line/load/neutral wires on the switch?

In the photo, the switch on the right controls the exterior lighting.

Old 12-16-11, 10:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I could not tell for sure if in the photo you have two whites connected together. If not there is probably no neutral in the box.

What is the proper way to install this to the line/load/neutral wires on the switch?
Are you sure the switch requires a neutral?

Old 12-16-11, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The switch on the right either has two switch controlled hots and a feed or power in and power out and the single switch controlled hot.

Old 12-16-11, 11:24 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss
The switch on the right either has two switch controlled hots and a feed or power in and power out and the single switch controlled hot.
Hmmm. Well, if I try to connect them to the new Aube switch exactly how it is now, the switch gets power and the LCD panel of the switch lights up, but when I try to turn on the exterior lights -- the lights won't go on.

Originally Posted by ray2047
I could not tell for sure if in the photo you have two whites connected together. If not there is probably no neutral in the box.

Are you sure the switch requires a neutral?
Yup, the two whites connected together are in the back. The Amazon reviews continually mention needing the neutral for the switch to work.

Old 12-16-11, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Can you tell us how you made the connections to the new switch?

BTW, the white on the 3way switch is backwards. The loop should be clock-wise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: