Hi all:

Can someone point me to a wiring diagram that depicts the following:

Source to 3way1 to 4way to light(s) to 3way2

Thanx very much for any and all help!

Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-11, 11:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not sure I understand your abbreviated description. Please give a more detailed explanation of what you want. Do you want power coming into 3-way switch 'A' and going to the lights from 3-way switch 'B' with the 4-way switch in between or does power come in at the light. Will there be a cable interrupted by the 4-way between switch 'A' and switch 'B' or will all cables go to and from the light only.

Old 12-19-11, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's the wiring I want to run, if possible:

Power to 3way switch 'A', then on to 4way switch, then on to light, then on to 3way switch 'B'.

Is this possible?

Thanx!

T

Old 12-19-11, 01:31 PM
Is there a reason you don't want to run from the 4-way to switch 'B' then to the light. That would be simpler. I don't right now see how you could do what you want to do without using 4 conductor cable or ENT with 5 wires from the light to switch 'B'.. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Old 12-19-11, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with Ray. Don't see how you can do it without a 4 wire as a neutral for the lights. All the others will be load and travelers.

Old 12-20-11, 04:25 AM
4-Way Switch Wiring - Power Source 1st switch, Fixture Feed 2nd switch - Self Help and More

I found this diagram and I believe this will work, yes? From this diagram I do know that the white traveler between the 4way and switch 3 will need to be recoded black.

Todd

Old 12-20-11, 04:37 AM
ray2047: I agree about the easier part with what you describe, but the location of the lights and the 4 way are clear across the looong basement from the 2 3 way switches which makes for some long runs of wire. I am trying to avoid the long wire runs.

Thanx!

Todd

Old 12-20-11, 05:13 AM
The diagram shown in the link you posted will work, and was what I was going to suggest. Be aware though, it may not be compliant for the 2011 code (if your area is using the 2011 code), as a neutral isn’t being brought into the 2nd 3-way switch box.
There are a couple exceptions, where you don’t have to bring the neutral into a switch box in the 2011 code:

404.2 Switch Connections
(C) Switches Controlling Lighting Loads. Where switches control lighting loads supplied by a grounded general purpose branch circuit, the grounded circuit conductor for the controlled lighting circuit shall be provided at the switch location.
Exception: The grounded circuit conductor shall be permitted to be omitted from the switch enclosure where either of the following conditions in (1) or (2) apply:
(1) Conductors for switches controlling lighting loads enter the box through a raceway. The raceway shall have suffıcient cross-sectional area to accommodate the extension of the grounded circuit conductor of the lighting
circuit to the switch location whether or not the conductors in the raceway are required to be increased in size to comply with 310.15(B)(3)(a).
(2) Cable assemblies for switches controlling lighting loads enter the box through a framing cavity that is open at the top or bottom on the same floor level, or through a wall, floor, or ceiling that is unfinished on one side.
Informational Note: The provision for a (future) grounded conductor is to complete a circuit path for electronic lighting control devices.

Old 12-20-11, 05:27 AM
Thanx, SD515. I will check my local codes for that. If all else fails, I will simply run the wire as suggested by ray2047 and as I have done in the past.

BTW, I luv the Bill the Cat avatar! Bloom County was awesome.

Just want to say that this forum has been an EXCELLENT resource for me in years past and currently. Thanx a ton, people.

Todd

Old 12-20-11, 05:42 AM
P.S. Pay attention to the terminal connections of the 4-way switch. Not all of them are the same. Some use the top 2 terminals for one set of travellers and the bottom 2 for the other set. Some use the left side for one set and the right for the other.

Lol…Some days Bill the Cat is an exact expression of my mood…

Old 12-20-11, 05:57 AM
Yes, I am familiar with the differing types of terminal connections on the 4 ways....thanx for the heads up, however.

Ack!

T

Old 12-20-11, 06:50 AM
I found this diagram and I believe this will work, yes?
Dang!. I usually do these diagrams from scratch in my head not memory and that one just didn't want to come out to play without pen and paper.