TV Interfearance

Old 12-19-11, 05:28 PM
TV Interfearance

I am having an issue with the tv's in my home. Both TV's, upstairs and downstairs, are going to a blank screen (not off, so it seems) and the picture reappears a second later when a light it flipped on or off. It happens from time to time and isn't always constant.

A little about the home and the switches: the home is new, built in 2008, the switches some times shock you with a little static and make a popping noise every once and a while. I have added lights to the front of the home and upgraded the decor lighting.

Any ideas would be great. My issue is somewhat like the one below.

-Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-11, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Shocking is not nice. If it is from static, then it is probably dry air and carpet combination. Popping is not nice. Do you know if the installer used the stab backs on the switches. Remove the power from an offending switch at the breaker panel and pull the switch. If the wires enter the back of the switch, use a small probe to remove them and strip them back, curve them and place the wires on the corresponding screws. Do them one at a time so you won't confuse yourself. Stab back connections aren't the best in the world and can cause problems like you describe. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-19-11, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Also as you are following Chandler's suggestion make sure the ground wire is firmly attached and if the box is metal pigtailed to the box.

Old 12-19-11, 07:41 PM
Chandler: thank you for your speedy response. I never even looked twice at a stab back switch, I just thought that there were two models and that a stab back model was "more safe" because the metal was concealed in the plastic. After reading a bit, it seems I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Thank you for the suggestion, whether it solves my problem or not, I will not know until I change them all in the home. Good thing I have 20 days off work!

I will post my findings when I am complete.

Thank you,

Paul

Old 12-19-11, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
You posted as I was posting. Please see my post above yours.

Old 12-19-11, 07:45 PM
I will do that as well, thanks for the additional tip, sounds like it's a good idea all around.