Installing 200 amp service around a gas line

Old 12-19-11, 08:22 PM
Installing 200 amp service around a gas line

Hi,
First off, I'm new to the site. I've looked around a bit and found some great info, but nothing that answers my specific questions.
I'm upgrading my home to 200 amp service. I live in California, so I've got to deal with PG&E which I've heard can be a huge pain.
I want to put the new main panel and meter plug right beside the old one so that I can get it all installed, then it will be simple to switch the line at the weatherhead when its all ready.
When I opened up the wall I discovered that my gas line runs in the same location that I plan to install the meter plug. There is room to fit both in between the same studs, but am I allowed to? I would have to run the conducters from the side of the meter plug to behind the gas line to the main panel. Would that be allowed? And would it need to be in a rigid conduit or could it be in a flexible conduit?
I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm trying to do.

proposed electrical layout by anthony.sgroi, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-11, 05:30 PM
I don't even see the gas line you mentioned. I don't know of any restriction of an electrical conduit being adjacent to a gas line, but I think your questions would best be presented to PG&E and your local AHJ.

Old 12-20-11, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
CJ, the gas line is shown as a vertical yellow line to the right of the new panel location.

I am not sure that you would have enough depth in the stud cavity for a cable or conduit between the meter and the panel. Cutting a large hole in the stud for the connector will remove most of the stud. IMO I would look for another way. Will the power company allow you to exit through the back of the socket?

Old 12-20-11, 06:08 PM
CJ, the gas line is shown as a vertical yellow line to the right of the new panel location.
Was that yellow line there before?

I am not sure that you would have enough depth in the stud cavity for a cable or conduit between the meter and the panel. Cutting a large hole in the stud for the connector will remove most of the stud. IMO I would look for another way. Will the power company allow you to exit through the back of the socket?
Agreed, the gas line will take most of the depth of the cavity. Some building authorities will not let you exit through the rear of the socket because of bending radius restrictions, you might check with AHJ and PG&E on that. Why couldn't the socket and panel be surface mounted?

Old 12-24-11, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no restriction with the panel being near the gas line, but there may a restriction if the gas meter is also nearby. My jurisdiction requires a minimum 10 foot distance between the gas meter and electrical equipment.

Old 12-24-11, 10:09 AM
There could also be an issue when you drive the required ground rod. Where there is a gas meter, there is a high pressure gas line underground.