Hooking up welder with three wires ot 4 wire plug

Old 12-20-11, 11:30 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hooking up welder with three wires ot 4 wire plug

My old welder has three wires on its male plug. I have all new recepticles with 4 prongs. I want to connect it to my sub panel in my new shop. So this is what I've don so far: I have the four #6 wires in to to service panel and the other ends at the recepticle box where the plug will go. Green goes to the unbonded ground bar. black and red are hots and go to the 60 amp breaker, I guess white goes to the neutral bar? Which wire do I not need to connect since the welder plug has only three? thanks in advance

Old 12-20-11, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Is your welder a straight 240 volt unit? If so you do not need the neutral.

Old 12-20-11, 01:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Is your welder a straight 240 volt unit? If so you do not need the neutral.
I will have two hots coming and a ground wire that is isolated from the neutral bar. How does the current get back to the power source? thanks

Old 12-20-11, 02:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mikerallye View Post
I will have two hots coming and a ground wire that is isolated from the neutral bar. How does the current get back to the power source? thanks
Through the hots.

Tech explanation: You house is supplied with 240 volts from a center tapped transformer. Anytime you are across the two hots from that transformer you have a 240v circuit. The center tap of that transformer comes into your house as the neutral wire. So you can also make a circuit with half the winding using one of the hots and the center tap giving you 120v.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-20-11 at 03:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: