ceiling fan + light switch wiring help!

Old 12-20-11, 07:22 PM
ceiling fan + light switch wiring help!

Hi,
My switch for ceiling fan/light was broke and after I open the wallplate it looks like this:

the new switch I bought is:

The color of wire are different than the old one. Could anyone help me about the wiring?

Appreciate for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-11, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The switch you have will control both the fan speed and the lighting. In the curent setup it looks like you had 2 separate switches. I can't tell if one is for the fan and the other for the light.

The pic is too small to see clearly, but the power will go on to the black lead of the new switch. The fan lead will connect to the lead labeled fan and the light will go to the other lead.

Old 12-20-11, 08:00 PM
Thanks for replying pcboss!
one more pic, it was 2 separate switches, left one is for overall on/off and the right one can control fan and light separated. Both has 2 lead connect on it. I believe I need to connect all 4 wire to my new switch, just dont know the correct match.

Old 12-20-11, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From looking at the pics it looks like you have two constant blacks spliced under the wire nut. You really do not need both switches. You could control both with the new unit.

I think what you have is a black and a red that run up to the fan junction box. Typically the black will be for the fan and the red for the light.

Old 12-21-11, 06:22 AM
Switch

Magnifying the diagram on the back of the switch shows the black is power in, the yellow is for the fan, and the red is for the light. All neutrals tied together.

Visualize the diagram rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.