Still messing with the welder circuit

Old 12-21-11, 09:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Still messing with the welder circuit

Well, I got it connected. Is this right? I am still not quite understanding the seperate ground bar. Isn't he power reaching the main panel in the house now through the ground. This is a detachd building. thanks
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by mikerallye; 12-21-11 at 09:19 AM. Reason: pics
Old 12-21-11, 10:51 AM
In a nut-shell, the reason sub-panels grounds and neutrals are kept separate is to keep current from flowing on the ground wire. In normal operations, a neutral is a current carrying conductor, a ground wire is not. Any connection between neutral and ground after the main disconnect panel would cause all grounded (bonded) paths to become energized…ground wires of branch/feeder circuits, metal boxes and equipment, gas and water pipes, ductwork, siding, etc. Though electricity takes the path of least resistance, it will take all paths it can to get back to its source.

Installing a sub-panel is much like installing a metal junction box. The fourth wire brought in to feed the sub-panel (the ground wire) is merely an equipment ground wire, and acts the same as found in a metal junction box for a branch circuit. It bonds the sub-panel enclosure, and (by using a separate ground bar) gives a place to land the grounds for the branch circuits leaving the sub-panel, and to keep them separate from the neutral.

Old 12-21-11, 06:00 PM
Why'd you use SO cable in conduit???

Old 12-21-11, 06:03 PM
M
Thanks for clarifying that. Now, the 60 amp upper right breaker is the welder circuit. this is correct isn't it? Will the ground wire be ok like it is or is there a better way to do this? The ground is not engerizing anything like it is? thanks

Old 12-21-11, 06:07 PM
M
I had a bunch of it given to me. Probably got another 50 ft left.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: