Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Firex (Kidde) smoke and smoke/CO detecters , problems since combo units added in

Firex (Kidde) smoke and smoke/CO detecters , problems since combo units added in

Old 12-22-11, 08:47 AM

House built in 2003-4, wired in 10 Kidde smoke detecters. No problems, changed batteries annually. About 3 years ago when finishing off over-garage space the building inspecter required CO detecters (code upgrade). Replaced two smoke detecters with combination smoke/CO detecters (by Kidde). Wiring harness and mounting plate were compatible so this was an easy upgrade. Quickly found that I needed to replace 9v back up batteries much more frequently, about every 2 months. No problem with CO only detecter installed at the same time. Firex's website indicates that they have discontinued the combo units. any suggestions on what to do? - -- are the Firex products just not reliable? I can always wire in a couple of CO only detecters next to the combos and replace the combos with smoke only detecters tho this seems like it should be unneccessary.....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-11, 09:03 AM
I can see where your consideration of using combo units would be more convenient but I've never been a fan of combining CO & smoke detectors. These 2 devices have similar but different roles. There's probably a good reason they were discontinued. My recommendation would be to switch them back to smoke alarms & purchase a separate single AC powered CO detector. I'm guessing you would lose the "alert-all" gang wire capability but at least someone in the area would be alerted if there's a problem. CO detectors alarm at a warning point for you to exercise concern & response, unlike a smoke detector that can mean seconds to get out to survive.

There are several types of CO detectors, my preference are the AC powered semi-conductor sensor models. These typically provide a digital readout in PPM. I have one that is like this that includes a battery backup. I didn't do any online searching but there may be a CO unit like this with gang wire capability. Just so you know, it is recommended / preferred that you stick to a common brand when linking initiating devices together although some different (but not all) will purportedly work together when wired together. When in doubt, contact the manufacturer.

TexasFire

Old 01-04-12, 09:19 AM
@TexasFire - - -Thanks! I think I'll do just as you suggest. Since I have two combo units I think I'll replace them with one CO and one smoke detector of the same manufacturer. Hopefully the building inspector will be OK with this solution.....

Old 01-08-12, 07:52 AM
Good luck, let us know how it comes out!!

TexasFire