Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Breaker seriously mis-wired 240v breaker supplying ALL 120v breakers

Old 12-22-11, 05:21 PM

You saw the title, I do not think this is right at ALL. Just bought a house, with an inspection and I guess the inspector missed it. I have 6 240v breakers on the top and then 12 120v breakers on the bottom. The 120v breakers are NOT installed at the bus rather are fed from the 2 wires coming out of the 50amp 240v breaker from the top.

To top it all off my box does not have a main shutoff.

Is this to code?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-11, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is called a split buss panel. The 6 breakers are the main shutoffs.

The are two sections of the buss, an upper and a lower. The single pole breakers are connected to a buss.

One of the 6 is typically labeled "Lighting Main" and feeds the 120 loads at the bottom of the panel.

Old 12-22-11, 05:57 PM
Thank you for the reply, I feel really stupid now. I have never seen anything like this before. The other 5 are for things like the dryer etc. And now that I know it is called a split buss I have been reading up on it.

I will be replacing this ASAP as not having a main shutoff scares me when I want to replace breakers. I have one that might be fused in there as I can not seem to pry it out. The one beside it came right out. I have the electric company coming out in the morning to pull the meter.

Old 12-22-11, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The power company may require a permit and an inspection before connecting the power again.

Old 12-22-11, 06:12 PM
For sure, I am having a professional electrician put the new box in, and to code. I am not a fan of getting lit up.

But as for the stuck breaker I need the meter pulled just to kill the box completely so I have "wiggle room" to pry out the stuck in breaker. It is the top left DP breaker right below the main wires coming in.

Old 12-22-11, 07:04 PM
Just bought a house, with an inspection and I guess the inspector missed it.
Even though it was probably a 3rd party home inspector, you have a serious issue if a split bus panel was just missed and not mentioned. What you have has not been allowed for many years by the NEC and probably should have prevented the sale of the house. I think I would contact the inspector and see what he has to say about this. Is there a regulatory body in your state? If so, you have a legitimate complaint.

Old 12-22-11, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
Even though it was probably a 3rd party home inspector, you have a serious issue if a split bus panel was just missed and not mentioned. What you have has not been allowed for many years by the NEC and probably should have prevented the sale of the house. I think I would contact the inspector and see what he has to say about this. Is there a regulatory body in your state? If so, you have a legitimate complaint.
This is an old house, built in 78. I believe from what I have read on the NEC site, this is grandfathered in but not allowed on a new house being built since 1984.

But if you are correct, then I got screwed badly. I will e-mail the inspector about this regardless.

Old 12-23-11, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While those style of panels are no longer used, that style did meet the requirements for shutting off the power with 6 throws of the hand or less.