Solutions for light switch controlling a receptacle?

Old 12-23-11, 09:03 AM
Solutions for light switch controlling a receptacle?

Good morning,

I have a couple rooms where the light switch is wired to control a particular receptacle but the way we want to use the rooms, it's not convenient for us.

So rather than go the painful route to re-do how all this is wire, I'm looking at flexible solutions for both now and if further changes are required in the future.

I heard Leviton had a product but I can't find it (and have not called them).

GE has Z-Wave Technology Duplex Receptacle and Light Switch.

Are there any other easy to implement (relatively) solutions?

If I go with a transmitter solution, is there an industry best-of-breed product or is Z-Wave as good as anything else?

I was eventually going to look at some home automation solutions as well so if there is some synergy I can find, that would be great.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-11, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
More info is needed. The electrical code requires a switch controlled lighting outlet in habitable rooms.

Is the switched receptacle just in the wrong locations?

Old 12-23-11, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
More info is needed. The electrical code requires a switch controlled lighting outlet in habitable rooms.

Is the switched receptacle just in the wrong locations?
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure I follow (and I'm ignorant).

So you mean there is code that requires each 'habitable' room (one is a bedroom, one is our office) have a switch-controlled receptacle? Huh, I didn't know that. I just assumed the previous owners did it because it's convenient.

But to answer what I think you're asking - the outlet isn't in the wrong place per se (i.e. it works and is fully functional in terms of placement, etc.) but for example, where the outlet is and where we are putting a lamp/light is on the other side of the room and uses a different outlet that isn't wired up to the switch by the door entry.

So I am wanting to change which receptacle (outlet) the light switch controls. And since there is no easy access to the wiring in the walls, I'm wanting to replace a the target outlet and light switch with something like the Z-Wave items or similar to acheive the desired functionality.

Does this make sense?

Old 12-23-11, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The code requirement can be met with a switched receptacle or a light fixture like one mounted on the ceiling.

I am not familiar with Z wave, but there should be an option to help you with your problem.