Connecting two lights/3 way switch

Old 01-12-01, 10:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a home built in the 1950's. The kitchen has two seperate lights and seperate switches that correspond to those lights. I would like to connect the lights so that the switches turn both lights on and off together. (The switches are located on opposite ends of the kitchen). I was told I would need 3-way switchs. I understand how to install the switches, however, I need to connect the lights also. How do I connect the lights? I do have access to our attic.

I have the same delimma in the hall. Two lights and two switches. I want to connect them and have the ability to walk into the hall, turn on the lights at the first switch, and at the end of the hall turn the lights off at the second switch.

HELP PLEASE!
Shannon

Old 01-12-01, 11:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ShannonSanchy
I have a home built in the 1950's. The kitchen has two seperate lights and seperate switches that correspond to those lights. I would like to connect the lights so that the switches turn both lights on and off together. (The switches are located on opposite ends of the kitchen). I was told I would need 3-way switchs. I understand how to install the switches, however, I need to connect the lights also. How do I connect the lights? I do have access to our attic.

I have the same delimma in the hall. Two lights and two switches. I want to connect them and have the ability to walk into the hall, turn on the lights at the first switch, and at the end of the hall turn the lights off at the second switch.

HELP PLEASE!
Shannon
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/courses/p230/switches.html

this site gives you the wiring for 3 way or 4 way switches, without knowing where the power source is for each light , rather the house circuit is coming to the switch box first or the light fixture first ??
So without more detailed infromation I can't give you a wire by wire proceedure.

Th sire above will give you the wiring principal behind 3-way switches. In the driagrams on this site, where it indicates black and white wire connection to the light , all the applicable light fixtures have their black wires conencted together and white wires togther at this point. Ground bare wires are together and grounded to all boxes and/or green wire depending on type of fixture.

You could potentially have a orginating power feed going to both light fixtures or 2 switch boxes, under you new layout with 3-way switches , you need only 1 source of power from the circuit (coming from electrical panel) and everything is wired from that, I think the diagrams at the site link I put above is very informative as to how to wire this.

Old 01-12-01, 11:30 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are probably a dozen ways to do this. They way you would choose would depend on how these are wired now (believe it or not, there are different ways to wire a simple light and switch), and where it is easiest to run your new cables.

I can't tell you all dozen ways, but here's one way that will always work. It would require you to run a new 14-2 cable between the two lights, and a new 14-3 cable between the two switches. Come back and tell me whether or not you can do that. Then I'll ask you the rest of the questions I need answers to before I can tell you how to hook it up.

If you want to get a head-start, the open up each switch box and each ceiling fixture. Count how many cables come into each box from behind the wall, how many wires are in each cable, and the color of the wires. Give us this information. Be sure to be precise in your descriptions (e.g., refer to switch #1, light #1, switch #2, light #2).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: