old wiring worries

Old 12-27-11, 01:40 AM
old wiring worries

just bought a house that has nob and tube wiring, also some newer 12/2 mixed in.
it does not take much to pull down the power (lights dimming) I intend to rewire the house but not sure of the potential danger now. the service wire from the pole to the meter looks really old too, maybe for a 60amp service? house now has 100amp breaker box.
what should i do.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-11, 02:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I know it is a DIY forum, but you have ventured into an area, and a safety factor that should only be dealt with by licensed electricians and your POCO. As far as your service entrance, have the POCO make sure it is large enough to handle the 100 amp panel. Could be someone upgraded the inside service on the sly and didn't bother to have the POCO upgrade the drop. Could have dimming problems from that, but more than likely the K&T.
Rewiring the house, you can do, but I would have it initially looked at by a licensed electrician and the POCO to make sure you have a safe house to begin with. They can give suggestions as to what needs to be done, and you can go from there.

Old 12-27-11, 06:09 AM
If you have dimming problems on a new circuit, then the knob and tube wiring on another circuit has nothing to do with it.

Verify that when you get dimming, that you don't get rising voltage on other circuits. That is a totally different problem, a really big problem, a bad neutral somewhere.

Verify (you can do the measurements in the panel) whether all circuits' voltages go down when you draw a decent amoutn of power (such as from a hair dryer) on one circuit.

Old 12-27-11, 07:20 AM
If for whatever reason you want to hold off on rewiring the house for now, you can fix or upgrade the main service if that is necessary.

Then add 1 new outlet in each room, each on its own 20 amp breaker. Then you can place the power hogs on those outlets for now. That will off-load the old wiring until you get around to rewiring.

Old 12-27-11, 07:31 AM
You should check to see if the new 12/2 wiring is connected to any old knob and tube. It should not be. It should be on its own circuit.

Old 12-27-11, 01:57 PM
thanks all for the help.
they connected 12/2 to the KT wiring and then went into the breaker with the 12/2. seems like alot of stuff is interconnected, whole house on 6 or 8 circuits.
had to change user name to dlzinn to get back on.

Old 12-27-11, 02:54 PM
That's no good. Are these connections made inside a junction box or out in the open?

Old 12-27-11, 03:04 PM
they are in the open, using wire nuts.
any idea what general price range it would be to just pay to have the entire house rewwired?

Old 12-27-11, 03:42 PM
they are in the open, using wire nuts.
any idea what general price range it would be to just pay to have the entire house rewired?
They must be soldered and taped, wirenuts aren't allowed.

I'd say it starts at 4,000. But I'm not an electrician, either.

Old 12-27-11, 05:03 PM
Wow, 4000...i hope you are wrong, probably not though.
AllanJ asked if i had dimming on a new circuit, the only new one i put in is a 220 for the dryer ( had gas dryer before) and it dims all lights when turned on. washing machine also dims lights. the breaker box is a newer switch type (dont know proper name) the line from bottom of meter in to box looks newer but the one from pole to meter looks ancient, may not be rated for 100 amp? I have what i would call a very basic knowledge of wiring.

Old 12-27-11, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might have had a panel upgrade without the wiring getting upgraded. A true service upgrade would have new wiring installed from the weatherhead down to the meter and from the meter to the panel and a new meter socket.

Old 12-27-11, 07:01 PM
Soldered and taped? They need to be in a junction box. I also don't think having romex connected to knob and tube is legal either.

Old 12-27-11, 07:20 PM
yea im sure its not legal to codes, my main concern though is saftey. i just talked to an electrition friend and he said to be careful because the way the did the KT they sometimes have the neutrals carrying current, sounds like a big mess to figure out and rewire, nothing is ever simple :/

Old 12-27-11, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Neutrals carry current on all circuits, not just K&T. The neutral is the return path to complete the circuit.

Perhaps what was meant was that the neutral was switched unlike todays wiring where the hot is switched.

Old 12-28-11, 01:41 AM
yes , im sure thats it because he said that you never know if the neutral wire is hot

Old 12-28-11, 05:07 AM
Do the lights dim for just a moment or do they stay dim until the dryer finishes running?

Old 12-28-11, 05:31 PM
the lights just dim for a split second when the dryer starts, same with sweeper but less noticable.