Wiring the ceiling fan fron hell

Old 12-27-11, 07:24 PM
Wiring the ceiling fan fron hell

I am replacing my ceiling fan in my den. When I took the old one down there are 5 wires coming into the box.
I have 5 grounds, hot and neutral. Now I have to add the ceiling fan. Every time I try to get one wire secured then I add the other they keep coming unraveled. Is there any trick to this..I'm going nuts here.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-11, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can pre-twist the connections. You also need to use a properly sized wire nut.

Old 12-28-11, 05:12 AM
there are 5 wires coming into the box.
I think you mean "5 cables"?

Old 12-28-11, 08:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With 5 cables, make sure your fan rated box is large enough to handle that many, plus an additional cable for the fan. Most importantly, make sure it is a fan rated box, and secured properly. You could use push connectors and daisy chain them to secure their connections instead of wire nuts, but either will work.

Old 12-28-11, 04:43 PM
Yes, I did mean 5 cables. This is why I like this forum..I had never heard of the push connectors before but I checked and Lowes carries them but only up to 4 connections. So I ordered the 6 connectors online..that is exactly what I need. Thanks for advice all.

Old 12-29-11, 08:17 AM
Five cables in a standard-depth fan-rated box sounds like it might require some patient grooming, even if the conductors are only 14 AWG. Hopefully this is recent wiring and the electrical contractor computed the box fill properly.

It's often helpful to make sure all conductors that will be wirenutted together, are about the same length. I usually lay the grounds at the back of the box, then the neutrals, and the hots toward the front. Proper grounding of the motor and the mounting bracket could require two grounding pigtails, so think about how you're going to do that before you get everything neatly laid in and have to un-do.

Speaking from experience, try not to just jam everything in there. Sometimes the brute force approach can damage conductor insulation and lead to a short to ground, especially with metal hardware or a metal box.