Bathroom Upgrading outlet to GFCI

Old 12-30-11, 06:47 PM
Bathroom Upgrading outlet to GFCI

Hello,

I have an outlet paired with two switches in my bathroom. The outlet is old and I was looking to replace it with a GFCI outlet since it resides right next to my sink.

After taking a closer look, I am now wondering if this is possible? I am attaching a diagram. The orange wire is actually black, but I left it orange so that it stood out a bit.

Thanks for reading,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-11, 06:50 PM
Yes, you can either put the switches on the load side (making the switches GFCI protected) or on the line side.

The bigger question is -do you have enough room in the box to fit a GFCI?

Old 12-30-11, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The orange line is just providing power to the other switches.

The switch loop for the fan is improperly done. The white should not be the switched hot. That should have been a blk/red/white cable going to the fan/light.

You may experience tripping as the neutral current from the fan/light is not going through the GFI.

Old 12-30-11, 09:44 PM
You can't do that because all current-carrying conductors will not be in the same jacket.

Old 12-31-11, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is an exception for non-metallic raceways. The problem will be the missing neutral current from the fan/light.

Old 12-31-11, 11:02 AM
Seems to me the power (120v) serves the receptacle first. So you can install a GFCI without protecting the lighting load (If the lighting load is not against code. Example: Fan located in a shower space). Just install all conductors on the line side, and it should work with out tripping. I’m with pcboss, they did terminate the white conductor wrong. It would seem this is a fan/light combination, or they junction the cables somewhere—to serve the light and fan with a grounded conductor.

Old 01-01-12, 08:56 AM
GFCI conguration

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

So by installing all conductors on the line side of the GFCI, am I correct in understanding that the configuration would look like the following?

Old 01-01-12, 09:25 AM
I'm by far not an expert, but this seems odd to me. Where is the fan and light picking up their neutral? If the cable into the light/fan box carries a hot, why did they pick up the hot from the outlet cable? If the outlet cable is on a different circuit than the fan/light cable that has the neutral, isn't that a potential hazard?

Old 01-01-12, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed that the wiring shown would be very unusual. If this is two circuits, the power from the receptacle would not be needed. If it is one circuit the neutrals should all be tied together and only the blacks would be switched.

It looks like someone made a mistake and pulled xx-2 when it should have been xx-3 cables.

Old 01-01-12, 01:24 PM
It is a single circuit

Thanks,
John