Trying to install digital timer wall switch

Old 12-31-11, 09:58 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to install digital timer wall switch

Switch controls a hallway light and is in box with two other switches. I'd like to install the timer switch for whenever we go on vacation. right now there are four black wires on the existing switch, as per the photo.

I have one black coming in at the bottom, one then goes to one of the other switch bottoms, the other bottom wire goes back out of the gang box. I assume the other black wire at the top goes to the light itself.

The timer switch has a red, white and black along with the green ground.

So, the question is how should I wire this up?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-11, 10:29 AM
I believe the three black wires (located on bottom of the switch) will be wire nutted to the black from the timer. The red wire from the timer will wire nut to the single black wire (located on the top of the switch) on the switch. The white will be wire nutted to all whites in the box (If you have two or more circuits, then the white must be wire nutted to any one circuit). The green will be bonded to any available grounding in your box. I see you have a metal box, so you may want to see if the box is bonded or if you have any means of grounding.

Old 12-31-11, 11:26 AM
Received 47 Votes on 38 Posts
If all else fails, try looking at the schematic and read the instructions.

Old 12-31-11, 01:25 PM
D
This box looks like it could use some cleaning up. Tighten all those screw heads down that are sticking up out of the switches unused.

It looks like the black connected to the bottom screw is one wire that has its insulation stripped in the middle so it can make contact with the switch and then continues on to another device. I would cut that wire where it is stripped and wire nut the two resulting wires with the other black that is stabbed into the back and a pigtail for the new timer.

Double check the instructions for the switch to make sure which wire is for what. If the black is the load, connect your black pigtail from the box to that wire. Then connect the black wire for the light to the red. Connect the white wire of the new switch to a neutral in the box. Be careful in switch boxes, because sometimes there could be white wires that are being used as hots. Though I don't think this would be the case in yours. If there is more than one circuit running through that box, you should only be connecting to the neutral that is on the same circuit as your hot.

Old 01-01-12, 07:06 AM
A
Thanks, got it up and working properly!