Can electrical socket/circuit damage a microwave?

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-01-12, 01:59 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Can electrical socket/circuit damage a microwave?

Hello,

New to the forum. I'm not very savy when it comes to this subject, so forgive me if I use any terms incorrectly. I have a microwave oven (KitchenAid 1200 watt countertop model) mounted above my oven (typical above the oven with trim kit installation). The socket behind the microwave maps to a single 20 amp breaker switch that powers this one socket alone. The original microwave started making an awful humming / buzzing noise on occasion then finally stopped heating period (everything else worked). Today I replaced the microwave with a new model, installed it and after 3 uses it stopped heating. There have been no strange sounds, it simply won't heat, or on occasion it will heat but take about 2 minutes to make 6 oz of water warm. I've tried the microwave on other sockets around the house, same behavior. Is it possible that this particular socket / circuit is at fault for the failure of my previous and brand new microwave. I'll also mention that the circuit breaker switch has never been blown into the off position since owning the home.

In summary, what is the likelyhood that an electrical issue within the house is damaging the microwave?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-01-12, 02:03 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,360
A loose or poor connection might be enough to light the lights and the control panel but not provide the proper power needed. I would check the connections.
 
  #3  
Old 01-01-12, 06:10 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 11,982
You may have some other issues going on here. Do you have any 240 volt appliances such as range, dryer or water heater and if so are they working ok?
 
  #4  
Old 01-02-12, 01:45 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Thanks for the responses. I do have other appliances in the house (electric stove, oven, washer/dryer and AC/Heat) and they are all working correctly. My hot water heater is gas. I've tried the microwave on several other sockets around the house, same result. Another piece of information, the original microwave functioned properly for about 6 years prior to breaking. I'll be pursuing a replacement this week, although I have to admit I'm worried about the longevity of the replacement if I have some sort of electrical issue. Lastly, the home was built in late 2004, so not dealing with an older home.
 
  #5  
Old 01-02-12, 07:32 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 11,982
Two things to check out:

1) Plug in a multi meter set to at least 120 volts. It should read 120 +/-10% leave it plugged in watch it when you run a few other things in the kitchen. The voltage may change a little but should stay in the 10% range.

2) This would require removing you panel cover. If you are not comfortable doing this, then don't. Look and see if the microwave circuit is part of a multiwire circuit. It will be part of a 3 wire cable (black, red,white,ground) If it is, find what other circuit it is part of and post it here.
 
  #6  
Old 01-02-12, 08:04 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 32,659
Another test: Insert the probes of your multimeter into one side of rge microwave receptacle and a toaster or hair dryer in the other. Check the voltage and then watch it as you turn on the load you plugged in. Does it drop significantly and stay at the lower reading? How much?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'