connection tether

Old 01-12-01, 06:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

When you're plugging a power tool like a hedge trimmer into a heavy duty extension cord, is there a gizmo that can be added to keep the trimmer's plug and extension cord's socket locked together, so they don't pull apart while you're working? If so, what's the real name for it, and where can such a thing be found?
Thanks!

Old 01-12-01, 08:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool Knot just for you.

Hi dg,

Here is how I tie my hedge trimmers to the extension cord.

Mark

Old 01-12-01, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool I had them myself!

I used to have a few of the exact gizmo you want.
They are a nuisance because they do not always stay together, apply all yanking force on te cord directly to where the cord attaches to the plug or connector and if the cord or many many many many many many many many many many more time likely cord coupling holders gets caught on something, the connections are damaged instead of the connection pulling apart to prevent damamge.
This gizmo has become ad to find because they did not sell due to disatisfaction like myself who threw them away in the BFI dumpster. Tying a knot in the cord has been a long known way to prevent the problem. I try noy to do it unless absolutely needed, the cord can be damage at the same location. Overall, the oldest method is the best method.
Where in the cords are you experiencing the most fustration?
Longer extesion cord eliminate the proble to some extent.

Tell us more!

gj

Old 01-13-01, 02:18 PM
Visiting Guest
connection tether

Thanks for your replies. The people I work for make commercial equipment
that's powered by electric motors. They need to have the motor be able to
disconnect for repairs, and the components are supplied with common
connectors much like extension cords have. But they are required to lock
the connectors together so that they don't accidentally come apart.
Looping and tying the cords is not allowed because of the potential for
damage to the wires. I figured somebody must sell a device as I've
described, but I don't even know the real name used for it.

Old 01-13-01, 02:31 PM
Talking Using my brain:inspiration and using already existing methods

Now that you mention locking plugs/connectors, did it occur to you to install these on your hedge trimmer? This idea didi not occur to me since it was late at night. True, it does not prevent the connection from coming apart altogether, but what does?... nothing!

Locking plugs/connectors are an excellent solution!

gj

Old 01-13-01, 02:36 PM
Thumbs up Ooopps!

Reading things over again, I realize you did not mention locking plugs/connectors. If you have never seen them, the have the prongs and slots arranged in a circular arrangment and the two are pushed togeter and twisted. The prongs are L shaped to catch on the inside of the connector or receptacle. Look in Lowe's if you have one near you or go to an electrical supply.

Old 01-13-01, 02:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Hedge trimmers; the knots are popular.

Hi
Here's a pic of a locking plug.

But you can't use these on your hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer has a standard plug that won't fit into a locking plug.

[Edited by Mark Chapman on 01-13-01 at 06:02]

Old 01-13-01, 07:23 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Mark Chapman, you did something here that causes me to react. YOU INTALLED A PICTURE IN THIS FORUM!

How did you do it. We need this cabability but did not know that this forum could accept a picture.

Your a wonder of science

Wg

Old 01-14-01, 12:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool The wizard is about to speak !

Hi Wg,

Thanks for the interest in pics. I got the idea when I saw knuckles do it all the time. He's a DIY Automotive moderator.

I will try to keep the explanation short. Write back if you need more info

First thing you must do is to click the bottom of this page where is says 'vBcodes'. That will most all the splain'n for me. You will be looking for the IMAGE topic. But there is a catch. The pic you post must have a URL instead of just being downloaded directly into the forum message. This is unfortunate because the url will vanish someday in the future and therefore the picture link will fail as the message gets archived and ages more and more.

Nearly everyone with internet access has private storage space that they don't use or don't understand or even know about. You must learn more about your ISP's provided storage space. That topic could get a bit involved to explain from scratch. This is new to you and may sound difficult, but do make the effort to figure it all out!!!

In short, first download the pic to your ISP's server(site), then use the URL of the pic in the vBcodes instructions I mentioned above. I use a FTP product to download my pics, with:

WS_FTP LE for Windows 95/98/NT (X86 Version)
http://www.ipswitch.com

It's free, but you will want to buy it afterwards. It was recommended by my ISP.

To help clarify the URL stuff, put your mouse over my picture above (either one, plug,etc) and RIGHT MOUSE click. Then click PROPERTIES. You will then see my URL is http://www.planetkc.com/mchapman/ebaypics/lock.jpg Notice the URL nameing structure, begins with my ISP, then my userid; this is key to understanding how everyone has there own storage at their ISP. Storage is limited and you will pay if you go past the allowed free amount of storage.

That is where MY ISP lets me store things, docs, pics, etc at no cost. Without it, you cannot share pictures with mom and dad, or whatever, 24 hours a day. Alot of people put there family pics there for others to see, if the exact URL is known to them.

Well, this is a start. I and probably everyone on the computer forum can share all the different tips and tricks
to show pictures. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

Oh, yeah, one more thing, I had to call my ISP to ask where to download my pics because that is not always known to you
when you connect to your ISP. It's still free, I just had to let them know I was going to do it. If you have AOL or such, this 'private space' is documented on there site.

Keep the pics as small as possible to minimize thread open time for the readers.

After you get over the excitment of posting pics. Here is a better idea for large pics. Just post the URL of the pic. The great advantage is that the entire picture will not be downloaded EVERY SINGLE time a person just HAPPENS to read the thread. That can be a real frustrating event for guests and especially 'members' who read the same thread repeatedly for updates to the thread. If you have big pictures, over 50k, then do as I did above in this reply, and type in the URL name, and don't use the 'IMG' vBcodes. That way you can have 10 pictures to make a point and still keep everyone happy!!! My pic's here in this thread were very small, and I am just learning how to do this vbcodes stuff and am not yet over the excitement of them.

One last tip about the size of the pic. Keep it as grey and white as possible. A 256 million color pic (the PLUG pic above) is 10 times larger than the 16 color pic of the knot.

Mark

[Edited by Mark Chapman on 01-14-01 at 04:16]

Old 01-14-01, 01:34 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Thanks much Mark Chapman.

I have many pictures from some books that I wrote that would be of help in this forum. I would like to set up the pictures as you discribe but right now I am teaching way too many electrical classes to have time to do it now. I saved your instructions and will try it when I get a chance. Maybe by then I will get done revising one of my books and get it available in the net. Time tends to be a premium for me during the winter due to classes that I teach.

Thanks again

Wg

Old 01-17-01, 06:38 AM
I prefer the kind of knot where you lay the two wires together (plugs in the same direction), loop them together around the wire and thru the hole. Then plug them together. This "spreads out" the strain on the wires, and doesn't concentrate it right at the plugs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: