3 way switching multiple fixtures

Old 01-02-12, 01:13 PM
3 way switching multiple fixtures

Forgive me as I'm new to forum...I have power coming to 1 existing light fixture first. Wish to add 2 more lights and then install two 3 way switches after the fixtures...is this possible? If so, how?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-12, 01:48 PM
Hi Shrubby and welcome to the forum. There are many way to wire what you want, but one thing you want to avoid is ending up with too many wires in one box. Generally, a 3 wire runs between the two 3-way switches, then power can come into one and a switch leg can go out. Where you already have power at one of the lights, then you could run a 3 wire from there to a switch and carry the power down and a switch leg back up. Hard to guess.

Can you describe the easiest paths available for the wiring so one of the electrical pros can advise.

Bud

Old 01-02-12, 02:02 PM
Bathroom (the room under reno) is completely gutted and a small room at that so not concerned about the amount of wire I need to purchase. I have removed existing 3 way switches and associated wiring as it was aluminum. So i'm left with aluminum wiring coming into light fixture box (which has been treated properly with copper pigtails, paste and appropriate connectors) that was for vanity lighting over sink. I'd like to go up and add 2 pot lights into ceiling beyond that vanity light and then have two 3 way switches controlling it all.