Transitioning direct-burial cable into PVC sheath

Old 01-02-12, 03:57 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transitioning direct-burial cable into PVC sheath

Hey gang,

I put a section of 1.5" diameter PVC pipe in the ground before we had a concrete sidewalk put in right on top of it, anticipating running some 12-gauge low voltage lighting direct-burial cable under the sidewalk in the near future. This cable will run along the ground and supply power to some fixtures, then go underground and enter into the PVC pipe (and run under the sidewalk). It will come out the other end from a set of elbows that places it flush to the grade, where it will then continue to run along the ground to power more nearby fixtures.

I want to keep the PVC pipe sealed from water, roots, dirt, etc, so that I might use it again in the future, if I decide I need to run more low-voltage cables through it. I'm looking for some advice how I can transition from direct-burial cable into the PVC pipe for the underground portion; and then, how to transition from the PVC pipe elbow back out to the on-the-ground cable portion.

My thoughts are to glue a PVC end-cap onto the end of the the PVC pipe, with a hole drilled in the end-cap through which I can run the cable. Once the cable run is established, I would apply some kind of glue, caulk or sealant where the cable enters/exits the drilled opening in the PVC end-cap, to prevent water from getting into the PVC pipe. Not sure if there's a better way to do this. Also I'm not sure what kind of glue/sealant to use. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-12, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may get differing opinions, but I would run the cables and shoot red electrical sealant (10.1 oz. Fire-Block Sealant-FB 136 at The Home Depot) in the end of the pipe around all the cables. It won't leak, and will be a bear to undo, but so will your method, and mine's simpler with less parts.

Old 01-02-12, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 208 Votes on 185 Posts
Duct seal might be a better option. Never seen it used in the ground but it handles weather very well. That or make a "cork" out of foam.

Old 01-03-12, 03:49 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
Considering the conduit is only 3 or 4 ft long, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd run the wire, then seal it up with some duct tape. The tape will keep most of the dirt out of it and will be easy to remove later.

If a little dirt or moisture ends up in there, it's short enough and large enough that you should still be able to get a fish tape through it or a small piece of wood to clean it out.

Keep it simple!

Old 01-06-12, 08:09 AM
J
Ok, thanks guys. I'm liking the duct tape idea. Or perhaps I can put some filter fabric (aka landscape fabric) on the conduit ends and duct-tape it in place to keep dirt out. And then make sure the conduit tilts to follow the natural grade, to prevent water from pooling inside of it -- even though the cable is direct-burial, I don't really want it to be sitting in a pool of water for months at a time if I can avoid it without too much trouble.

Yeah, that'll probably work! Ok, looking forward to getting 'er done this weekend.

Old 01-16-12, 04:02 PM
J
I ended up not using duct tape. It wouldn't stick to the pipe because it was dirty, and excavating out the end to clean it off wasn't going to happen. I ended up stuffing an old rag very tightly into each end of the conduit. I figured it would keep the dirt out, allow water to flow through and evaporate, and be very easy to re-open in the future.

Old 01-16-12, 04:34 PM
Duct seal was the best option mentioned!!!