Humming when using microphone

Old 01-03-12, 09:44 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humming when using microphone

Hi guys!

I have a Sony Vaio F laptop, that I have connected to its AC power adapter. I also have a analog headset, and whenever I talk through the microphone, the person on the other end hears a buzzing noise. Is there any way I can fix this issue?

I have bought an external sound card to see if that would fix the issue, but it did not. I also wanna note that when I UNPLUG the AC adapter and run straight off the internal battery, the humming goes away.

The AC Adapter I am using is 2prongs and it has a ferrite filter on it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Its really bugging me!!!
Thanks!!!

Old 01-03-12, 10:43 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
More than likely the result of a defective or low quality headset. Especially if it's happening on an external sound card.

Old 01-03-12, 10:53 PM
L
well the microphone works great when running on just battery.. I also tested it out on another laptop (hp) and a desktop(also hp) and they worked fine

Old 01-04-12, 03:37 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is there anything else connected to the laptop? (ethernet, video, printer?) A hum is almost always caused by a ground loop between devices that are plugged in to the wall. In this case the power supply is completing the connection and causing the loop. I've experienced this quite a bit with Apple laptops because of the way they wire their power supplies, but never heard of it happening with a Sony.

Can you flip the AC power plug or is it keyed to only go in to the recep one way?

Old 01-04-12, 11:10 AM
L
Thanks for the reply!!!

I can switch the prongs, yet it doesn't help.
The only thing that is plugged into the laptop is the AC adapter and a logitech USB mouse reciever

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: