How do I disconnect power on split buss?

Old 01-05-12, 10:21 AM
How do I disconnect power on split buss?

I have a split buss panel. I'd like to change the wiring to the double pole 20A breaker in the bottom right corner. It is currently wired for an electric stove. The stove doesn't exist. We have gas. I'd like to use the breaker to run 8 gauge wire into another room to make a sub panel.

How do I shut off the power to the breaker so I don't get zapped?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-12, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
There is no man breaker for the upper 240v section of a split bus. Unless it is a subpanel you will have to ask an electrician to do it or have the power company pull the meter for you.

Note: Some may advise switching it hot bu thatt is very dangerous. Experienced pros may do it but the key is experience. It is strongly recommended DIYers don't do it..

Last edited by ray2047; 01-05-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-05-12, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this were to be done you would have the potential to be able to pull 40 amps off of the lower buss that is typically only fed by a 60 amp breaker. If you are talking about the lower right corner of the upper buss ignore the above.

Old 01-05-12, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In the pic you posted on the other forum it does not look like a split buss panel. I see a main lug only panel wired with 3 conductors. You have too many breakers for this panel to meet the 6 throws of the hand rule. If there is a breaker ahead of this panel it should have been wired with 4 conductors.

Either way you have issues that need to be corrected.