What did I mess up?

Old 01-05-12, 11:51 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What did I mess up?

I was replacing the light and fan switch in my bathroom. These are standard switches, not 3 way.

The fan switch works fine, I had no issue there.

The light switch had the same setup as the fan switch - 2 black wire, one white wire painted black, and it had an additional wire the fan did NOT have that looks like this.
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._WIRTIP_14.JPG

I hooked the new switch up exactly as the old one.

Now, when I turn the light switch off, it turns the fan off, but also the power to everything in my bedroom.

Turning off the fan switch does not affect my bedroom.

I did some googling and found if I desired this, I should remove a tab on the new switch, but I did not remove it, nor do I desire it.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-12, 04:16 AM
T
Switches

You have gotten your black wires mixed up. Are the lights on the wall or combined with the fan? And do you have a meter to identify the hot wire coming into the switch box?

Old 01-06-12, 05:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Kayhold, you took a picture of the switches before you removed the wires, right? Uh-oh, OK, you didn't. You will next time, I'm sure. The wire bent over the screw may power both switches, so you will need to determine if it is the hot wire or not. Do you have a multimeter? One of the blacks is a continuously hot wire, while the other black and white painted black is a switch loop. Brings to question if the power comes in at the fan/light or at the switch. We need to know that. Take a picture of the wires as they are now and post it as follows: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-06-12, 10:44 AM
K
Thanks for answering, both of you! I decided to try last night and move the wrapped pigtail wire to the top side of the switch and it works perfectly!