how to find master cut-off for breaker box ???

Old 01-06-12, 08:39 AM
Question how to find master cut-off for breaker box ???

im adding a new dedicated 15amp circuit (new run) for an array of track lights that ive installed.

im trying to get everything ready and pre-staged/prepped for when the electrician arrives to feed the new 14# cable into the breaker box and install it to a new 15amp breaker.

i removed the cover from the circuit breaker to inspect, and noticed there is not a cut-off switch for the breaker box. is there supposed to be? im completely unfamiliar, but just looking to find out how one disconnects power to the breaker box such that a new circuit can be added?

im waiting to hear back from my condo board whethre there is some sort of master cut-off in the utility room that houses all of the meters for all of the apartments... any ideas?

im sure the electrician will be able to perform this, but i just wanted some information prior to him getting here to minimize time.

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-12, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
moved the cover from the circuit breaker to inspect, and noticed there is not a cut-off switch for the breaker box. is there supposed to be?
No cut off switch but there should be a main breaker if there are more than six throws (breakers) unless this is a sub from a main panel within the same building. Check around the meter and see if there is another panel.

im trying to get everything ready and pre-staged/prepped for when the electrician
Don't sweat it. He will know what to do.

Old 01-06-12, 06:27 PM
The electrician will know what to do, but if there is something behind a locked door, the association will have to be involved to get it open. Talking to them ahead of time is a good way to get anything like that done when the electrician is there. You don't want to pay him to wait for you to get a key or something.

Old 01-09-12, 11:44 AM
yeah, the service room is locked so i will verify with a board member to unlock before electrician is out.

if i do this in advance, ill take a photo of the electrical meters in the service room and post back here for verification.

i just dont want to get charged for his time while trying to locate all of this -