AC Outlet Safety Question

Old 01-06-12, 09:36 AM
AC Outlet Safety Question

I am planning on posting a metal bedframe on a wall to serve as a tool rack of sorts. However, the bedframe would be directly in front of an AC outlet that I wish to use (I would be able to plug in devices through the bedframe's wire pattern). Considering that the bedframe is metal, can anyone advise me on whether or not there would be any safety concerns in using the outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-12, 09:46 AM
Could be potentially dangerous, but not much different than having something plugged in behind your mattress that you sleep on. As long as the cord to whatever you are plugging in is in good shape, then you should be ok. If you are securing the metal frame to a concrete wall, then hopefully your circuit breaker would trip if any hot conductors come in contact with it. AC in general can be hazardous if you aren't careful. Just be smart about it.

Old 01-06-12, 09:47 AM
Is the wire mesh grid pattern larger than the outlet cover and would the outlet be centered on the grid opening? Is the outlet properly grounded and GFCI protected? Is this in a garage or dry basement location?

Old 01-06-12, 09:51 AM
That depends on if the prongs on the plug could possibly come in contact with the metal frame while it is being plugged in.

Or if the metal frame could slip down, cause the plug to come out a little, then a metal portion of the frame touch the plugged in prongs on the partially out plug.

And on the condition of the outlet wiring and plug wire. And if there are any bare wires which could come in contact with the metal frame.

Sort of a common sense type of thing.

Old 01-06-12, 10:05 AM
Thank you all for the insight, my bad on not being more descriptive haha. All the wiring is in good condition, and the wire mess is big enough so that it doesn't contact/interfere with the prongs.

However, as Bill mentioned, considering that the prongs could slip out, I think I'm going to be better off just placing the frame on a different wall.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-07-12 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling