Running electrical wires in garage-- Help!

Old 01-06-12, 12:36 PM
Running electrical wires in garage-- Help!

My house was built in 2003, the garage has 1 wall outlet, 1 ceiling outlet (garage door opener) and 1 side door wall light fixture.
The only wall outlet is on the back wall and is very inconvenient, so I would like to run atleast 1 more outlet to the side wall.

Could I splice the new outlet from the outdoor light switch by the side door or should I splice it from the garage door opener outlet?

I would also like to hardwire in a light for my work bench, how should I go about this?

thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-12, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any of those options are possible... but remember, if you're planning on running power tools off this new receptacle, you may end up tripping the fuse/breaker depending on what else is on any of these circuits.

Many people would run a new 20A circuit (at least) to the garage for a workshop so you don't have to worry about overloading any other circuits.

Similarly, the light from your workbench can be connected to any circuit that's not a bathroom, laundry, kitchen or dining room circuit.

I'd recommend a book like Wiring Simplified or other electrical book to get the basics down before tacking either of these projects. Of course, feel free to ask more questions here too!

Old 01-06-12, 02:48 PM
Consider installing one of those cord reels at the ceiling, maybe fed from the GDO. Mine gets lots of use. It is 14/3 and 25' or so.

Old 01-07-12, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you were to tap the exterior light fixture, most likely the new receptacle would also be switched.

Also the receptacles in the garage need GFI protection.