Bathroom, adding GFCI to Switch

Old 01-09-12, 12:52 AM
Bathroom, adding GFCI to Switch

So i have a bathroom with a single gang box with 2 switches, one that controls the lights and another that controls an exhaust fan. I would like to add a gfci next to this. I have installed the 2 gang box and have the 4 wires from the prior combination switch in it ( Black, Red, White, and Ground ). Wires are 12 gauge and everything is 15 amp. How can i wire this so that both switches still operate the lights and fan independently?

GFCI:
15-Amp Light Almond Slim Tamper Resistant GFCI-R06-X7599-0KT at The Home Depot

Combination Switch:
15-Amp Light Almond Combination Double Switch-R56-05224-2TS at The Home Depot

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-12, 01:52 AM
Group Moderator
I have installed the 2 gang box and have the 4 wires from the prior combination switch in it ( Black, Red, White, and Ground ).
Your description sounds like a switch loop. You do not have a neutral for the GFCI. You will need to run a source of power to the box for the GFCI. That could be either from another receptacle or replacing the 3 conductor cable from the fan with a four conductor cable (or ENT with four single conductors plus ground).

Assumes you told us all the wires in the switch box.

Old 01-09-12, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Ray that this sounds like a switch loop. Also a new installation should really be a 20 amp circuit for the receptacle.