Hooking up power to storage shed.

Old 01-09-12, 03:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hooking up power to storage shed.

I have a building that was wired with 4 outlets and 2 overhead lights with 2 light switches.
There is one junctoin box in this building. This building is approx. 70 ft from main house
circuit panel. I was wondering approximately the cost of having the electric hooked
up to this building from my home. My circuit panel in the house has room for 4 more circuits
I really need to know the price I am hoping it wont cost too much, I just want this done
right. Everyone I call says they have to come out and look at it. I really done want to
have to run extention cords out there just want it done right. Please let me know what people
may charge, I am in Oklahoma.
Thanks
Stacy

Old 01-09-12, 04:52 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It is an easy DIY project that will probably cost less then $150 for materials but to have a pro do it will cost at least two or three times more. How much depends on local pricing.

Old 01-09-12, 05:07 AM
S
Thank you so much for a response, this really means alot

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
It is an easy DIY project that will probably cost less then $150 for materials but to have a pro do it will cost at least two or three times more. How much depends on local pricing.
Thanks so much Ray for your response. Now at least I know worst case senerio probably around 500. I was thinking it was going to be thousand or more. I am trying to learn about doing it myself but just dont know about this electric. Especially when you have to go into the circuit panel. Anyways I am planning to dig a hole to the building so maybe that will help. Once again.
Thanks,
Stacy

Old 01-09-12, 05:50 AM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Running Power to Shed

Anyways I am planning to dig a hole to the building so maybe that will help. Once again.
Do you mean a trench? How deep?

Old 01-09-12, 07:56 AM
Assuming this is mostly just for lights in the shed if you have a receptacle at the back of the house you can come off that and not have to go into the panel.

Old 01-09-12, 10:58 AM
M
Having recently done this, I doubt $150 will cover the materials. Conduit, conductors (4 required), ground rods (2 required), etc. It adds up.

Old 01-09-12, 11:51 AM
For cost, It cost ~900.00 for the last shed rewire I did. I'll review this thread later when I get home.

Old 01-09-12, 12:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 98 Posts
From the description a single 15 or 20 amp circuit would suit the OPs needs.

No needs for all the stuff required for a subpanel install.

Old 01-09-12, 12:40 PM
Having recently done this, I doubt $150 will cover the materials. Conduit, conductors (4 required), ground rods (2 required), etc. It adds up.
Cost assumes 100Ft of #12 UF at $1/foot* and $50 for a 20 amp circuit breaker or an extension ring for an existing outdoor receptacle + 20a SPST light switch for disconnect (shed has junction box) + one joint of 1/2' PVC and fittings.

*Example UF cost: 100 ft. 12/2 UF W/G Cable-13055923 at The Home Depot

Note: shed is already wired.

Old 01-09-12, 01:40 PM
I'd go with Ray's suggestion if all you need is 1 15 or 20A circuit.

Old 01-09-12, 06:51 PM
S
Yes trench

Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Do you mean a trench? How deep?
Yes trench and would be about 18 inches.

Old 01-09-12, 06:52 PM
Received 106 Votes on 94 Posts
Ray did so good on this one I'd even let him dig the trench!!

Old 01-09-12, 06:59 PM
S
Well Actually...more than lights.

Assuming this is mostly just for lights in the shed if you have a receptacle at the back of the house you can come off that and not have to go into the panel.
Well I plan on having someone stay in it for awhile on my property. Its a 12 by 24 building. I had it built and am paying monthly for it, but plan on having electric heater (may put wood stove in) of course next summer a air conditioner, and there will be a microwave, tv and a small refrigerator. So its more than just lights. I had the building as finished as the place would do and that is why I had them put insulations and siding and the electric package which include, the four outlets and two light fixtures and this junction box.
I was looking at my house and were my wiring is my circuit panel is 200amp and not using it all, I would rather do the work myself if it is safe, and I looked under the house today and saw the black box that all the wires are going to from meter and elsewere this box is directly under were my circuit panel is.
If you think this is do able from someone with no electric experience i am willing to attempt it. I am pretty handy.
thanks
Stacy

Old 01-09-12, 07:25 PM
S
Thanks for the response, and yes I think it was a good idea that I had it wired. I appreciate you putting the cable that I would need and would be safe, because I am thinking that I may attempt this myself maybe. I just dont want to mess up the house I live in wiring.
But the building is 12 by 24 and having someone stay in it on my property when I can get it all figured out. I am out of city limits so no permit required, plan on having small refrigerator, microwave, electric heater, tv and lights, and next summer window air conditioner.
Thanks
Stacy

Old 01-09-12, 07:30 PM
S
Thanks for your response, uh thinking maybe I need to do it myself, I am spending enough on this building already. I noticed when you call someone they never like to tell you over the phone.

Old 01-09-12, 08:07 PM
Well I plan on having someone stay in it for awhile on my property. Its a 12 by 24 building. I had it built and am paying monthly for it, but plan on having electric heater
That puts a red tag on the construction. The suggested plan is not adequate for electric heat or habitation. It can still be DIY but you will need more power then a 20 amp feed. Give us more information and we can still help.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-10-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 01:21 PM
For what you're running, a 60A 2-pole breaker with some 2-2-2-4 SEU cable would seem more appropriate with a 8+ space panel.

Old 01-10-12, 01:37 PM
For what you're running, a 60A 2-pole breaker with some 2-2-2-4 SEU cable would seem more appropriate with a 8+ space panel.
Agreed or conduit and THWN.

Old 01-11-12, 06:34 AM
S
Wink

Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Ok, so the 60A would go in my circuit panel at my house, or is what your saying a 60A 2-pole breaker is that another circuit panel installed at the building? I do so much appreciate this response. Also the cable would be the 2-2-2-4 SEU that would be buried from my house to the building. Then connect a 8 + panel circuit panel at the building ? Well hope I dont sound too stupid. Also were is the best store to buy all of this that you all would recommend.

Old 01-11-12, 06:48 AM
A 60 amp two pole breaker would be installed in the panel at your house. A cable or conduit would be installed between your house and the shed, It would have 2 hots, a neutral, ground. My choice would be conduit because it only has to be 18" deep and if you ever need more power you can easily run larger wires. I would suggest a 100a main panel kit for the garage because they are often the cheaper way to go and include breakers. Everything is protected by the 60a breaker at the house. The 100a main breaker at the shed simply acts as a disconnect switch. You would have to have a ground rod at the shed and add a ground bar, sold separately to the sub panel at the shed.

Still an easy DIY we can walk you through but at least two or three times more expensive. Assumes you have an open space in your panel for a 240v breaker. With conduit it would be three #6 THWN and one #10 THWN for the ground.

Also were is the best store to buy all of this that you all would recommend.
Home Depot, Lowes or Manyards would be three options if you DIY but usually an electrician will want to furnish his own materials.

Old 01-12-12, 07:57 PM
S
question

A 60 amp two pole breaker would be installed in the panel at your house. A cable or conduit would be installed between your house and the shed, It would have 2 hots, a neutral, ground. My choice would be conduit because it only has to be 18" deep and if you ever need more power you can easily run larger wires. I would suggest a 100a main panel kit for the garage because they are often the cheaper way to go and include breakers. Everything is protected by the 60a breaker at the house. The 100a main breaker at the shed simply acts as a disconnect switch. You would have to have a ground rod at the shed and add a ground bar, sold separately to the sub panel at the shed.

Still an easy DIY we can walk you through but at least two or three times more expensive. Assumes you have an open space in your panel for a 240v breaker. With conduit it would be three #6 THWN and one #10 THWN for the ground.

Home Depot, Lowes or Manyards would be three options if you DIY but usually an electrician will want to furnish his own materials.
I went to lowes tonight and they said that I could have either have a 100 amp panel at the storage building or the 60 a installed at the circuit panel at my house., Is it a necessary to have both? They did agree a 60 a is good.
Thanks
Stacy

Old 01-12-12, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 98 Posts
The outbuilding will need a means to disconnect all the power in the building. The 100 amp main breaker in the new panel can do this. You will need the 60 in the panel in your house to supply power to the new panel.

Side note, SE-U cannot be buried.

Old 01-12-12, 08:53 PM
I went to lowes tonight and they said that I could have either have a 100 amp panel at the storage building or the 60 a installed at the circuit panel at my house.
Please don't trust what they tell you at a BigBox store. That was unequivocally wrong. As PCBoss said you need both. When I worked at a BigBox often it was the associate from Gardening helping people in Electric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: