Narrow Single Gang Outlet Box

Old 01-10-12, 05:40 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Narrow Single Gang Outlet Box

Hi Guys,

I'm wonder what the narrowest POSSIBLE metal single gang outlet box that exists?

I of course looked at home depot etc. but the narrowest I have found is 1 7/8 width.

Does anyone know of one that is 1 1/2 or 1 5/8" wide?

Thanks!

Old 01-10-12, 06:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 877 Votes on 807 Posts
I don't think they get too much narrower. All that I've seen are at least big enough to accept a GFCI which are about 1 5/8" wide. You also have to watch, especially with a metal box, because the screws for most outlets are on the side. Must smaller than the standard and a short becomes an issue. And, you still need to meet code for the minimum enclosure volume.

Have you looked at switch boxes?

Old 01-10-12, 07:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Why do you need a narrow box? We may be able to help with alternative wiring methods.

Old 01-10-12, 07:17 AM
W
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm looking for a narrower box to fit between a stud and an HVAC duct. I have 1 3/4" wide area available.

The house is balloon construction so I would prefer not to notch the stud even if it is only a fraction of an inch (exterior wall though non load bearing).

I'm not too concerned with the depth of the box. It can be a bit deeper to make up the required cubic inches.

Old 01-10-12, 02:15 PM
B
I guess moving the box to the other side of the stud isn't an option?

Old 01-10-12, 04:59 PM
W
Moving to the other side of the stud is my last option.

It will make the outlet at the EDGE (if not a bit over) of the counter. Plus I'm trying to keep everything symmetrical.

Any other ideas??

Thanks guys!

Old 01-10-12, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 288 Posts
As already stated a box needs to fit the devices which is why they are the size as they are. If you must have a receptacle in that location, while I doubt it would esthetically pleasing, you could always install a surface Wiremold box. I understand that your keeping things symmetrical but sometimes you just have to make compromises. Nobody will notice but you.

Otherwise another option is to move/adjust the duct. A 4x4" box only needs 1 1/2" depth.

Old 01-10-12, 06:42 PM
A
Never mind. I just refreshed my browser and saw that you updated the thread, so I know my idea wouldn't work. Sorry.

But reading back, I am wondering if you might consider notching the stud and sistering it. Is there a reason you don't want to do that? Presumably you'll be covering the studs anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: