Fine installation ...?

Old 01-11-12, 07:34 AM
Fine installation ...?

What do you think of this fine installation? This is a friends' house, new build within the last 4 years. Maybe it's not a big deal, I'm not an electrician, but I would not do this....

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-12, 07:46 AM
Installation

What are we looking at here? Was the photo made from the basement?

Old 01-11-12, 08:04 AM
Yes from basement looking up. Floor joist on the LH side and that is one of the main beams that the yellow wire is coming through

Old 01-11-12, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Heck with the wiring (not that it's any prize)...what about the hanger for the floor joist? Wish I could see the whole thing.

And you know why the wiring hole looks so crappy don't you? They drilled from the top...poorly. At least it looks like they used adhesive on top of the joists.

Old 01-11-12, 10:44 AM
Wiring

Apparently, there is a wall above and directly over the main beam. The hole was drilled to the side to keep the wire in the wall above but to allow the wire to miss the beam below. Just my opinion. If my assumption is true, then I see no other way to route the wire.

It may prove interesting on some other issues if we could see a view from farther back to include more of the surrounding view.

Old 01-11-12, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It may not alway be obvious but there is normally anothe way to get the cable into a wall above a beam. You may need to take the long way.

I can't think of too many inspectors that would have passed that on a framing inspection.

Old 01-11-12, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I worry more about the framing problems that may exist than the cable. Not much other way to do the cable pull, and it isn't against any code. The joist hanger is another story.

Old 01-12-12, 01:25 AM
Those are lamiated engineered beams and they are very specfic on drilling the hole and majorty of them will say JAMIAS ( NEVER ) drill it unless specfied per manufacter instruction where to drill it and many inspectors will nix it unless specail reason why.

Merci,
Marc

Old 01-12-12, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even the through hole location in the beam is in a poor location. If it was even allowed to be drilled it should have been in the mid-line of the beam and not so close to the end.

Old 01-12-12, 11:43 AM
Bottom line is that the holes drilled in the beam are not to code or structural engineering requirements -especially the one coming down thru the top of the beam. It's not possible to tell from the limited picture if the hole that has the 2 wires coming out of it is OK. I would need to see a picture with more of the surrounding area.

Old 01-12-12, 05:40 PM
sorry for the late response. Funny I posted the pic thinking the wire was the worst part and you guys all picked up on the beam and hangar. I will try to get another picture less zoomed in next time I am over there.

Old 01-13-12, 11:30 AM
I went back over today and took this from a bit further back. Just was curious about it, that's all.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old 01-14-12, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I hate to disagree with the others, but it seems the lateral hole is in the middle third of the beam, which is not against any code, and the hole coming from the floor above is not degrading the beam at all. I know of no other way to move cabling than the way it was done. Sure, it could have been drilled down 1" to the left, but only Superman has xray vision. I think they did a pretty good job.

Old 01-15-12, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In the original pic you could not see where the hole was in relationship to the end of the LVL. The second pic shows it to be about 20" from the end the way I see it.