Odd Electrical Problem in Shed - Help needed please

Old 01-11-12, 01:52 PM
Odd Electrical Problem in Shed - Help needed please

Probably not an odd question but I just recently lost power to my shed/workshop. Of course my shed was not intended to be a workshop when the previous owner of my home installed it however I have recently been doing a little woodwork in there anyway. An incident happened during which I was using my table saw (w/ext cord) and the power went out. The problem is that the power went out in my shed only. 1 outlet and 1 lamp holder which are the last on a series of flood lights and interior lights and receptacles. Have tried resetting multiple times

Series is as follows;
Main Breaker - 15amp
Interior Lights and Outlets - good
Switch to power outside 3 floods and Shed
3 Floods (12-2) 3 wire - Good
Shed Lamp Holder - Bad (have changed bulbs but not holder, voltage reader lights up not sure how many volts)
End Receptacle Outlet - Bad (have changed receptacle and does not have a reset button, voltage reader lights up not sure how many volts)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-12, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Working backward from the bad receptacle open the fixtures and check all connections, replace any wire nuts, and move all back wire connections to the screws.

A non contact tester is not a meaningful way to check voltage in this situation. For that you need a multimeter, test light or solenoid tester.

Bottom line though is that you need a new dedicated circuit just for the shed. At the very least a 20 amp multi-wire circuit.

Old 01-11-12, 06:35 PM
Thanks Ray... dedicated circuit it will be. Electrician coming next week.

Old 01-12-12, 05:37 AM
Power Outage

Check for a reset button on the table saw.

Old 01-12-12, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The heavy draw from the table saw may have caused a connection to fail.

Old 01-12-12, 11:31 AM
If your table saw has a motor that can be wired for 230V then add a circuit just for that. I have a 10" Delta Contractor's saw and I did that because it would trip even a 20 amp 110V circuit under heavy load. Your electrician should be able to tell and advise you.