Is this a safe way to wire two duplex receptacles.

Old 01-12-12, 07:44 PM
Is this a safe way to wire two duplex receptacles.

I'm curious if this is a safe and or legal way to wire two receptacles together? It seems that it would cut down on the number of pigtails, and create less congestion in the box.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-12, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure what is connected where. Are the black and white in the middle connect to both receptacles or run behind and connect to the other. the red supposed to be ground.

Old 01-12-12, 08:33 PM
I fixed the drawling, this should make it more clear. The reddish color is the ground.

Old 01-12-12, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem code-wise but stripping the middle of the conductor is somewhat of a pain. I would just add two pigtails to the incoming and be done with it. In a 2 gang box you should have plenty room.

Old 01-12-12, 09:51 PM
I don't work with much Romex but with stranded THHN I find it easiest if all conductors being terminated are about the same length. Why terminate the black from the Romex on the right device and the white and ground on the left device? It may be easier to draw that way in two dimensions but when you're working in three dimensions what's drawn there seems more difficult.

Conductors don't respect square corners and especially with 12 AWG, the excess has to be curled properly so it doesn't bind or cause the device to bind. It's easier to do this when the conductors are the same length.