Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to hang a ceiling fan in a 100+ year old house.

Old 01-14-12, 04:29 AM

My appartment is on the second floor of two and a half story building. I have installed ceiling fans on first and third floor no problem fairly modern wireing. Second floors wireing came over on the Mayflower. Any Idears on replacement. Also New breaker box installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-12, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Lets start with what you have. Do you have a any wires where you want the fan? What kind of box is there?

Old 01-14-12, 07:24 AM
Are you the owner or a renter?

Old 01-15-12, 02:08 PM
Typically if the old wire is in good enough condition, you carefully cut around the old yoke, loosen the set screws holding the BX cable into the yoke, and pull the yoke out. You then are supposed to put a fan brace up into the cavity and tighten it in place. Then you route the BX cables into the box included with the fan brace and bolt the box onto the fan brace. The box has the proper threading to screw in the fan support bolts.

In my case the wiring was in bad shape and I ended up cutting through the attic floor to replace five ceiling yokes. So at that time I put in 2x4s and 2x6s perpendicular to the joists and hung the fan support boxes from those.

In one case I had a finished floor above the fan box location so I did put in a fan brace. Worked fine but I didn't have to work around old wiring; I fed it with Greenfield and that was pretty easy.