exhaust fan rattle

Old 01-13-01, 03:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I replaced the motor in my Nutone exhaust fan in my bathroom. I had hoped that would get rid of the rattle. It didn't. I find that I can quiet it significantly by putting my hand on the metal bar that attaches the fan to the metal frame. I tried tightening everything, but can't eliminate the vibration. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-01, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool vvvi bbr at ion !~

What part is vibrating? The frame? The cover? Everything?
Have you truly tightened everything? I have heard fans like yours that vibrate no matter what, as long as they receive power. How old is this fan?, this may shed some light on the situation. Tell us a description of the cover and features. Would you possibly consider replacing the unit if it is one of the simple ones which is not all that expensive?

Tell us more!

gj

Old 01-14-01, 09:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool exhaust fan vibration

thanks for your rapid response. The fan that I have is mounted in the ceiling. The fan and motor fit into a cutout area of the metal frame which appear to be attached to the ceiling joists. A U shaped metal bracket holds the fan and motor to the frame and is the area that vibrates. The fan is about 6 or 7 years old.

Old 01-14-01, 10:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have two Nutone bathroom fans, and sometimes a rattle can develop on the motor-to-fan shaft as it passes through the two (square) little bearing housing plates.
There is a small oil hole in each plate and a small felt/fiber oil pad that lubes the shaft bearings.
Take the fan out and put a few drops of oil on the plates(upside down), and see if THAT is contributing to your rattle. That usually solves my rattle problems, but it could be the housing, too.
Good Luck!

Old 01-14-01, 11:50 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Old Guy is right about the oil solving a lot of fan rattles.

However sometimes you find that honery fan that rattles no matter what, sounds like you have one of those fans.

You said that if you hold pressure against the bracket of that fan, the fan stops rattling. How about taking a drill, drilling a hole through that braket, installing a long self drilling screw through that bracket hole and screwing that self drilling screw into the back of the fan, thus being able to make an adjustable pressure on a permanant basis?

Then you can use that finger you were putting pressure on that backet for better things like tickling your kids to tears? They might love it till they get big enough to black your eye!

Good advice to me but too late. Daughter 22 now but still love her, shes my little girl for life cause she promised.

Wg