Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can Broken Extension Cords Be Spliced and Covered With Electricians Tape?

Can Broken Extension Cords Be Spliced and Covered With Electricians Tape?

Old 01-19-12, 09:28 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Can Broken Extension Cords Be Spliced and Wrapped With Electricians Tape?

Can an extension cord, cut or broken somewhere along it's length in between the ends, be repaired by splicing and wrapping the individual conductors, and then the entire cord with electricians tape ?

If this is not a good practice :NO NO NO: -- why not ?

Regarding the splicing of the individual conductors, is there a particular recommended or any proscribed methods or arranging the wires?

Would soldering the wires back together be significantly better than twisting them back together?

If insulating a twisted wire splice with tape is not advisable, would that also hold true for a soldered connection?

Old 01-19-12, 09:44 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yes, it can be done, but unless it is an expensive, contractor or motor home ( high amperage) cord,
why bother.

Home extensions are cheap and not worth repairing, and why take a chance that you could end up "frying" a person, pet, or your home.

Old 01-19-12, 11:39 AM
What are you using the cord for?
My answer is no you can’t (Especially not with electrical tape). We need to know reason of use, and the type of cord.

Old 01-19-12, 11:51 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The answer will varies a bit depending on which type of extendison cord we are talking about.

Merci,
Marc

Old 01-19-12, 01:12 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
No strain relief to keep the splice from being separated is reason enough not to do it; tape is not a proper strain relief. Replace the cord as has been suggested above.

Old 01-19-12, 02:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You could cut the cord at the break and install a new end..... if you're dead set on repairing the extension cord.

Old 01-19-12, 06:33 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There may be an issue if OSHA or a similar regulator has jurisdiction where the extension cord is used.

It might be better to make two shorter cords from the damaged cord, but even that might not be permitted under OSHA rules.

Old 01-19-12, 07:03 PM
The OP hasn’t answered my question. It is important to know what the cord is being used for. Personally, I wouldn’t waste my time splicing an extension cord—it’s a recipe for trouble. Note: Code does prohibited splicing a cord, but will allow it for specific reasons.

Old 01-19-12, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Depending on the cord ends installed it may be cheaper to purchase a new cord, along with the OSHA and UL compliance issue.

Old 01-20-12, 03:52 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I would go ahead and do it if it is too inconvenient to get in the car and drive to the hardware store but do keep in mind that just twisting the wires together does not make an adequate connection.

Soldering makes an excellent connection but should not be relied upon for physical strength. A combination of twisting and soldering is fine.

The individual conductor splices should be staggered along the length of the cord, that is, if you were to pull the cord somewhat taut before taping, the splices should not touch.

Old 01-20-12, 05:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cords smaller than #12 cannot be spliced.

I use solder and heat-shrink tubing on mine.

Old 01-20-12, 06:37 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Cords smaller than #12 cannot be spliced.
Not saying it isn't a bad rule of thumb bur could you cite an official source for that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: