GFCI Outlet hookup--Please help!

Old 01-17-12, 06:10 PM
GFCI Outlet hookup--Please help!

I can get the green outlet light to come on but the reset switches don't work and I still can't get any power. What is the proper way to hook up these 4 wires? Wire colors are black, red and two whites as you can see from these photos. Please let me know if you need better photos. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-12, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The two whites are confusing. Normally there would be only one white with the black and the red. Can you post a better pic of a closeup of the box?

In the US it would be unusual to have a split wired duplex. GFIs cannot be split wired.

You will also need box extenders.

Old 01-17-12, 06:50 PM
Here are bigger and clearer photos. This is the outlet that's burnt out. I bought and exact same replacement and thought I hooked the wires the same way but guess I didn't.

Old 01-17-12, 06:52 PM
They could have pigtailed—using a red conductor. The OP needs to find power. You need an electrical tester to find which two wires give you 120v. A tester will be your best bet, as we can’t guess on what you have. pcboss raises a good point—hinting that red conductor could mean you have a multi-wire branch circuit. I agree, you need a box-extender. That box is set back too far.

Old 01-17-12, 07:01 PM
When ever u took out the existing receptacle was it a gfci ? If it was you hafta make sure u get the line & load correct ! (make sure u get the neutrals paired up w/there proper hot conductors) look @ the multi-conductor cables entering the box to do this. Once u have this done find your line by isolating all conductors so that dont touch & find the hot pair thats your line & then your other pair will b your load. Remember silver screw is neutral(white) brass is hot blk. Or red.

Old 01-18-12, 08:27 AM
Yes sir. I'm replacing it with the exact same one I just bought. Corner green light lights up when I hooked it up but why doesn't the reset button work?

Old 01-19-12, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some brands show the LED when tripped, other brands show when the receptacle has power.

Do you know which pair of wires has power on them? Are they connected to the LINE terminals?

Old 01-19-12, 06:06 PM
By the pics. You posted you have a leviton device the green light is on when power is on & gfci is not tripped. Sometimes you have to push in on the test button with some moderate pressure its kindof hard with your fingers because it is flush w/the face of the device but the reset button pops out so you can reset it pretty easy. If you have line & load correct with the correct neutrals to each then you may have a fault condition downstream on that circuit. I would go find the other outlets that are fed from that gfci & unplug everything that is plugged into those receptacles & then see if it will reset.

Please try to avoid text speak. It makes it hard to understand.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-19-12 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling and removal of text speak