Tester says "OPEN GROUND" on my only garage outlet

Old 02-10-12, 07:31 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you tried a hardware store. They are often more likely to sell jut a few. Last resort I'd just buy a couple of pan head or truss head but not countersink 10-32 machine screws at the hardware store.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-10-12 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 07:25 PM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
They had a bag of 25 for under $2 and they were a smaller diameter but I don't see it online.
You could spend $2 to $6 on grounding screws (25 or 100 screws) or hire a contractor at probably about $90 an hour in Chicago area. You could even buy the grounding screws and throw the remainder away and still be ahead. I'd buy them and save the extras to either use for my own future projects or give away to friends as they need them.

Old 02-10-12, 07:53 PM
Or as Joe posted in another thread Solid Wire Grounding Tails.

Old 02-11-12, 03:22 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm now looking at my wording on my last post when I said they were HUGE. I was more meaning they are physically huge in diameter. Fat screws. Super fat. I have not looked at the back of an electrical box but I guess there must be some huge hole back there to hold these huge green grounding screws!

And yea, a 100 pack of screws for $6 is not a biggie compared to (hholy Lord do electricians really make) $90 an hour. I do like that link to the screw/pigtail thing. Those are awesome! But I don't see a price on them.

I'll stop by Ace Hardware and see what they have maybe tomorrow.

You guys are so awesome for helping me. I've been wanting to type up a very heart-felt response to all your responses here.

I belong to a tennis forum, guitar forum, and a game forum where I'm quite established. Here I'm brand new and you guys have done a fine job of helping a "nobody" and that really (getting mushy here) makes me feel people are good.

I mean some of you have typed gobs and gobs of info. Your days jobs may be at $90 an hour but you give freely to those here on the forum for the only payment of knowing you've helped someone.

Old 02-11-12, 07:58 AM
(hholy Lord do electricians really make) $90 an hour.
hahaha No way!! A skilled service electrician can make a good wage, but no where near $90 an hour, but a legitimate electrical contractor probably charges about that, or more, in your area (assuming you are in Chicago area). A contractor has many costs that the hourly service rate must cover, including the electrician's wages/benefits, the tools on the service truck, the service truck, gas and maintenance of service truck, insurance on the service truck, worker's comp/liability insurance, and general overhead of the office that includes rent, utilities, insurance, office expenses, etc. Just buying one 1-ton service van and tooling it up and stocking with material can easily cost around $50,000. The list of costs go on and on when operating a legitimate business and must be built in to the hourly rate of each service electrician working on the payroll.

Old 02-11-12, 08:02 AM
I do like that link to the screw/pigtail thing. Those are awesome! But I don't see a price on them.
I think the smallest package you'll find is about 6 pigtails and they are available in both stranded and solid. Expect to pay about 50 cents each. A smaller hardware store may sell them individually where the big box stores almost always sell in full package quantities.

Old 02-11-12, 09:47 AM
Just wondering, have you gotten to the blue wires yet?

Old 02-12-12, 04:21 AM
N
Ray said:
"As I wrote I suspect the two blue wires go to the AC disconnect. The disconnect is that small box on the wall connected to the Ac . With your multimeter check to see if you have power. I would almost bet you don't."

Ray I have not tested the blue wires yet. I need to buy a multi meter first. Also I need to know if I should stand on a piece of wood when I have my hand in the breaker box left hand always in pocket? Do I need to wear runner glove or does rubber help at all?

I don't wear rings or watches so I'm good on that. I need some serious hand holding to stick my hand in that evil circuit box. Very intimidating knowing it can have 100 amps

Old 02-12-12, 07:33 AM
Since your panel only has single pole breakers in it and you do have central air conditioning, it's ALMOST a given that the blue wires go to the a-c disconnect. You can trace the wires and see if two blue wires feed the a-c disconnect without a meter and without sticking your hands in either box. What appliances, besides the a-c, do you have that need 240 volts?

Old 02-12-12, 08:52 AM
Since we have determined that there is a main disconnect at the meter you should be relatively safe once the main disconnect is off. Always check first with a multimeter or test light to be sure the main lugs on your subpanel are dead before working in it.

Old 02-13-12, 01:12 AM
N
Casual Joe said:
"What appliances, besides the a-c, do you have that need 240 volts?"

Well, I doubt any....I have the following (mind you I live in a 850 s.f. place)

gas stove
gas dryer
washer
dish washer
20 year old fridge
AC unit about 50 feet outside
new furnace
electric water heater

That's all the big stuff. So what of that works off 240? Further, can you look at this picture? I CANNOT figure out what is on breaker #3

Old 02-13-12, 06:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Both the A/C and the electric water heater would be 240 volt. They should both be fed with a 2 pole breaker. I don't see one for either. Typically these would be 30 amp breakers.

As far as #3, turn it off and see what looses power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: