Outdoor entertainment area wiring


Old 01-18-12, 11:42 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1
Outdoor entertainment area wiring

Hi all, first post here.

I am looking to add an additional power socket and lights to my outdoor entertainment area. The idea is to obtain the power from my swimming pool's DB board. the problem is that I have no idea on how to go about doing this.

The DB box consists of a pump circuit breaker, light circuit breaker and light transformer.

Any assistance in this regard would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-12, 09:04 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,357
I don't know what the rules are in South Africa, but under the the NEC in the US the circuit for the pool should be left dedicated to the pool.
Old 01-19-12, 11:28 AM
Glennsparky's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 136
Pcboss, can you cite chapter and verse on the NEC issues? I often pulled power for other things from a pool panel and never flunked for it.
Garthdv, the first step is to find the wire size and type (cu or al) that feeds the pool panel. In the US the minimum is 30 amps 240 volts, that is usually #10 awg copper four wire feed. Also, read the amperage and voltage on the name plate of your pump motor. By comparing the two we can tell if you have enough power for receptacles. Find out and report back.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes