Installing a new light switch

Old 01-19-12, 07:19 AM
Question Installing a new light switch

I am changing out all the light switches in my house from off white to white. I was replacing the switch at the bottom of my stairs. This turns on a light above the staircase and can be switched off/on from either the top of the stairs or the bottom of the stairs.
The wires running to the old switch were, ground, black, red, and white.
The new light switch was a little different than the original switch so I connected the black and red to one screw and the white to the other screw and the ground to the green(ground) screw. But, now the light cannot be turned off/on from the upstairs. Ii can stil turn off/on the light from downstairs though. What did I do wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-12, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like you aren't using a 3 way switch. Does this one only have 2 terminals for power and 1 for ground? Look at the old one..it has 3 for power connections and a ground right?

Old 01-19-12, 08:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you replaced a 3 way switch with a single pole switch.

BTW, only one wire under a screw head.

Old 01-19-12, 12:25 PM
Thumbs up

Okay, I will go and get a 3-way switch this weekend. Thanks for the advice guys!!

Old 01-19-12, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, I will go and get a 3-way switch this weekend. Thanks for the advice guys!!
Do you remember which wire went to the common terminal of the old switch? Common was the odd colored one, usually dark colored. You must put the correct wire on the common of the new switch or it won't work.