Rocker switch question

Old 01-21-12, 11:34 AM
Rocker switch question

I'm trying to fix my Honeywell HZ-680 oil radiator heater. The problem is its rocker switch. This is what the heater looks like: Honeywell HZ-680 Oil Filled Electric Radiator Heater Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com

The left side of the switch turns it the heater on low, the right side on medium, and turning bothe sides on puts it on high. It also has a thermostat control dial. The right side of the switch burned out so I need a new swicth. The problem is that I have found the manufacturer for the switch in China, but cannot find out how to buy one. I have contacted them, but have not heard back.

The switch is 125v 15a / 250v 15(3)a.

This is the manufacturer's page for the switch (includes pics, specs,diagram): -SC797-Rocker Switches-xiamen hysen imp&exp co.,ltd

I found this switch for sale on a site: DTDP On/Off Illuminated Rocker Switch

Would this one work? If not, does anyone have any other ideas? Even if it does work does anyone have a better idea?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-12, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Have you searched DeLonghi for info on your heater. Especially wiring diagrams.

Old 01-21-12, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think the switch should be available from other sources.

Old 01-21-12, 02:14 PM
I'm really sorry. I should have said up front I am very amatuer. So I'm going to probably sound dumb. When you say the switch i linked to, do you mean the first switch, the second (the one I'm asking if it's ok) or both? The first switch I linked to is the exact switch that is in my heater. Here is a picture of my switch

Sorry it's blurry. There are 6 terminals (prongs?), 3 on each side. Wires running to all of them. 4 wires total.

Last edited by JackCates; 01-21-12 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-21-12, 02:18 PM
I checked DeLonghi and didn't find anything though I may have missed something. I have checked pretty hard for the switch sc797. All I can find is either the manufacturer of the switch or sites that link to the manufacturer, but none available to buy.

Old 01-21-12, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you see any label like DPST or DPDT?

Old 01-21-12, 02:28 PM
No don't see either of those

Old 01-21-12, 03:44 PM
Just found something. Don't know if it helpful but here goes. Each of the prongs are marked. Very tiny print. On one side the prongs are 1A, 2A, 3A on the other side the prongs are 4B, 5B, 6B

Old 01-27-12, 04:14 PM
Sorry to bump this. Just hoping someone might have a suggestion. If anyone can tell me how to find out if my switch is a double or single throw or anything else.

Old 01-27-12, 07:20 PM
I'd buy a new heater and pitch the old one.

Old 01-27-12, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If your switch matches the first link, it is a double pole, double throw, with center off.

The second link is a double pole, double throw - no center off.

Old 01-28-12, 07:00 AM
It's actually two switches in one housing.

(Hover over the photo on this page for a closer view.)

How do you know it's a bad switch and not a bad heating element? Did you check the switch with an ohmmeter?

BTW, it's also not a good idea to run any space heater on the high setting. It really taxes the house wiring. Running it on half power is a lot easier on the wiring, and the only difference is it will take longer to heat the space. You'll also save on the electric bill.

Old 01-28-12, 08:36 AM
Thanks again everyone for the replies. Rick Johnston, you can't tell from the picture but the left side of the switch has burn marks all over it and the switch when flipped has no resistance. The problem is I need this side of the switch to run it on medium or high.

Old 01-29-12, 07:57 AM
Have you seen these options? If they won't work, you might try contacting the company to see if they have the correct part.

E-switch RA2

E-switch RB4

Old 01-29-12, 03:43 PM
Haven't seen those. I'll take a look at them. Thanks for your help.