Electrical cords

Old 01-24-12, 12:39 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical cords

Until I am able to connect electric to a builing, I found some cords that are 15 amps. I have two outlets in my home that are designated for dishwasher which is a 15 amp and garbage disposal also a 15 amp. Since I do not use either and nothing else is designated to these outlets is it Safe for me to plug 1 15 amp extension into one outlet and the other 15 amp plug put in the other outlet (total of 30 amps) would I be able to use a electric heater 12.5 amp and 26 inch tv and a dish network cable box and maybe one light with the 30 amps? Thanks so much because it seems this is probably what I am gonna have to do for a short while. Just checking if you all think its safe.

Old 01-24-12, 02:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Short answer.....do what? No. You won't be gaining anything by connecting more than one extension cords to receptacles in your house. How far away is this building? Have you done a voltage drop calculation on the cord's length. You won't have a total of 30 amps, only a total of 15, and will trip out a breaker. If your breaker is 20 amps, then your extension cord becomes the fuse and will burn up, possibly causing a fire. It seems you want to inhabit this building prior to getting a certificate of occupancy, which can't be done. Do it right, get it to the point to where you can get an proper inspection and have the power attached properly.

Old 01-24-12, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Larry, my take on this is the OP wants to use 2 circuits from the house and take 2 cords to the outbuilding to supply power. Like you I would be concerned about voltage drop issues and the safety of the cords and fire or overheating risk.

Old 01-24-12, 10:04 AM
S
l I dont know about voltage drop but i thought if your not using more than the amp allotted for the circuit then you would be ok. The electric cord says its safe for 15 amps (it costs more)so I assume its a better cord. In my home there is a circuit box each circuit is allotted and written on what is actually powers. One of my circuits is allotted to the dishwasher (which I dont use and is 15 amp) this dishwasher plugs into one outlet, so I would assume that the 15 amp circuit supplys power to this outlet which could supply power to this dishwasher. I thought maybe I could plug one 1 15 amp cable electric cord which is 100ft to this outlet and run it to a building to supply power to a tv and cable box. I was checking if tht would be safe for that wire? and to do this until I have the money to do it right.
I also have another circuit allotted to a garbage disposal which is 15 amps, this garbage disposal has an outlet all to itself as well as its own circuit. I was wanting to run another 15 amp 100ft cord from this separate outlet and run it to this building to an electric heater which on the box says it takes 12 amps of electricity. I assume or hope that a 15 amp circuit would be able to supply power through a 15 amp cord to a heater that is 12 amps. I live in the country so I have no real codes but I do want it done right in a few month but yes would like to have someone use it and thought this would be an idea until I could have it done right. My question is. Is this safe. The only thing I dont understand is what your talking about the voltage, I thought the cord that cost more would make this safe

Old 01-24-12, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
StacyH

Big thing not addressed yet is how far are you talking about from house to shed? And how are you going to route them? Through a door or window?

Extension cords are for temporary use. Yes I know, people leave Christmas lights plugged in for weeks, but that doesn't mean it's safe.

As to the voltage drop, normally it's not a concern for most things....but when the distance is long the diameter of the wire carrying the current has to be increased. Wire has resistance and dissipates power as heat. Not a concern as long as the wire is correctly sized. For instance..you never see construction crews using long extension cords because the drop in voltage will cause their tools to draw more amps than normal and it can burn out their motors.

Some things are not affected as much....the heating elements in a heater don't really care...they just don't get as warm, the fan that blows across them does care and will not run as fast, may burn out quicker, etc.

For a temporary party room type thing...might not be a big deal. If someone was trying to live out there and let it run all night...yes, its a hazard.

Old 01-24-12, 10:22 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I thought maybe I could plug one 1 15 amp cable electric cord which is 100ft to this outlet and run it to a building to supply power to a tv and cable box. I was checking if tht would be safe for that wire? and to do this until I have the money to do it right.
If the extension cord is 14 gage yes that should be okay but a 100 feet is near where voltage drop becomes a factor.

I also have another circuit allotted to a garbage disposal which is 15 amps, this garbage disposal has an outlet all to itself as well as its own circuit. I was wanting to run another 15 amp 100ft cord from this separate outlet and run it to this building to an electric heater which on the box says it takes 12 amps of electricity. I assume or hope that a 15 amp circuit would be able to supply power through a 15 amp cord to a heater that is 12 amps.
This is more problematic. First a 120v heater is not intended for continuous use. If used that way I'd expect to see heat degradation of the plug and receptacle. Second if you do use it as a continuous load the circuit should be sized for 125% of the load. That means best practice a 20 amp circuit and a 12 gage cord.minimum (Edit: as Furd suggested #10 would be better). But of course at 100 feet of cord you also are boarder line having voltage drop as a factor.

As an alternative you may want to consider a temporary overhead line to the building and a subpanel. This is doable DIY project that would probably cost less then the extension cords, could be done in a day or less, and be safe.

Old 01-24-12, 10:24 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
This might be okay for the television but definitely NOT for the heater. A cord "rated" for 15 amperes would be no larger than #14 conductors and THAT is way too small to convey 12.5 amperes 100 feet. You would need a cord with no less than #10 conductors for the heater.

Old 01-24-12, 02:40 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Stacy - if you are running 2 extension cords from two separate 15 amp circuits you might be OK except - distance is important. The cords themselves have an inherent resistance (loss) and the voltage will decrease across that distance.
Another factor to consider is the location of extension cords. Are they exposed? If so they must be outdoor rated. Will they be protected from physical damage - things like lawnmowers and snowblowers? Are they going to be short term/temporary?
Is it your property?

Old 01-24-12, 06:57 PM
S
As an alternative you may want to consider a temporary overhead line to the building and a subpanel. This is doable DIY project that would probably cost less then the extension cords, could be done in a day or less, and be safe.
If I sent pictures of where I have everything located, I may try the overhead line to the building and subpanel. I could probably afford doing the underground but not afford someone doing it for me. Some people I talked too say they will do anything but electricity is something they wont mess with. I am very handy at present I am putting up a woven wire mesh fence around this building. And also if a 120 electric heater is not for continuious use then what do you all recommend. I guess a wood stove but I really thought that wouldnt be safe either.

Gunguy45 thanks for your response. The distance to building is about 80 ft but would use the 100 ft cord. Guess now I have learned something else about electricty....that the longer the cord the less amps you get.

Thanks to Ray2047, Wayne Mitchell, Furd and pcboss, for all of your responses I feel like at least someone in this world is listening and by the way this whole website is great and for people like all of you to help. Thanks

Last edited by ray2047; 01-24-12 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Fix BB Code
Old 01-24-12, 07:39 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If I sent pictures of where I have everything located, I may try the overhead line to the building and subpanel.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

And also if a 120 electric heater is not for continuious use then what do you all recommend.
That was in reference to the portable electric space heaters which plug in. A hard wired baseboard electric heater would be fine.

Some people I talked too say they will do anything but electricity is something they wont mess with.
If you don't work on energized circuits and follow code it can be done safely. You might want to pick up the book Wiring Simplified available at Home Depot, Amazon, and other places.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: