Is this power cord's prong blade damaged? (pictures)

Old 01-21-12, 05:58 PM
Is this power cord's prong blade damaged? (pictures)

Greetings everyone,

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I just purchased an uninterruptible power supply to be used to protect sensitive computer electronics. However, upon unpackaging I inspected the power cord and I found a gash on one of the blades on the power cord's prong. I've plugged in the UPS and hooked up a computer to it, and the computer has powered on fine and the UPS is functional. But what I'm really worried about is some sort of fire hazard (maybe there's a crack in the blade underneath that gash?), and perhaps I'm even more concerned that this gash could reduce the quality of the power coming through the outlet. I need the power to be as pristine as possible and am afraid the damage could degrade the sine wave input or the frequency or the voltage stability or something. Should I get the cord replaced?

Here are the pictures:

Pictures 4, 5, and 6 provide the best view.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-12, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-23-12, 06:03 AM
Plug Prong

Is the gash on the edge of the prong what you are concerned about?

Old 01-24-12, 05:00 AM
I would not worry about that
If the UPS is still under warranty I would only get it replaced if it really bothers you. But it should be fine

Old 02-01-12, 10:15 AM
@Wirepuller38

Yes, that's the gash in question, located on the 'hot' blade/lead. I've been running a high-end computer off the UPS for over a week now. Whenever I've checked, the UPS's built-in monitoring display has shown a constant input frequency of 60HZ and a varying input voltage of 119v-123v depending on the time of day (which I understand is normal), and has not logged a single power outage. The only thing I can't measure is the pureness of the sine wave output. So my final question is this: is it possible for the sine wave waveform coming from the wall outlet to be altered by passing through a deformed hot blade? My understanding is that the current would just simply 'go around' the gash, as if it were a car on a highway merging into a different lane when the lane it is in ends, leaving the integrity of the waveform intact. Is this a valid thing to say?

Old 02-01-12, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
It's fine...the gash will have no affect on the power as long as there is good contact between the blades and the receptacle contacts.

Old 02-04-12, 03:48 AM
Excellent, thank you for your input everyone.