GFCI Outlet Circuit question.

Old 01-21-12, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question GFCI Outlet Circuit question.

Hi All,

Longtime reader, first time poster

I have a property for sale that just had the home inspection. There was no GFCI outlet in the bathroom, just a standard outlet. This Circuit starts at the 15amp breaker, goes into the bathroom outlet, into the kitchen to an outlet and finally to the north wall in the dining room... Wacky circuit I know... Place was built in the 1970 - need I say more ?

So I installed a GFCI outlet in the Bathroom to protect the Bathroom, kitchen and by chance the dining room as well.

The problem the house inspector / potential buyer has asked why is the circuit that way? The house inspector popped the Dining room with his tester and was like???

I am wondering if this is a problem? I mean I am not going to rip out the wiring?? I never added any wiring...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-12, 11:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Strangely wired, yes. It may or not have met code when installed. I don't know, that was before any of my books.

You could move the downstream wires to the line terminals so the other receptacles are not GFI protected. You could install another GFI for the kitchen countertops.