common wire ground

Old 01-22-12, 07:05 AM
common wire ground

can a receptacle be grounded by connecting the ground screw on the rec. to the common wire terminal with a small jumper wire? Someone suggested this to solve our 2 wire un-grounded rec. problem. they said it would read as grouned, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause problems,not just pass a ground test. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-12, 07:24 AM
Definitely NO! What you propose is frequently referred to as a bootleg ground. It'll fool the little outlet testers, but it isn't safe.

Old 01-22-12, 08:37 AM
thanks for the info, can i install a gfi breaker for these circuits and leave the 2 prongs in place

Old 01-22-12, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
thanks for the info, can i install a gfi breaker for these circuits and leave the 2 prongs in place
Yes are you can install receptacles with ground slots if you label them GFCI, no equipment ground*. If you know which is the first receptacle you can use a GFCI receptacle there and connect the rest to the load side.

This will not provide the ground necessary for surge protectors or cause the tester light to show grounded but it will meet code for retrofitting older wiring.

*Labels usually come with the GFCI device.

Old 01-23-12, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The "solution" given by "someone" could have shocking consequences or worse.