Identifying issues with contractor

Old 01-24-12, 03:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Identifying issues with contractor

I had a contractor today, among other non-electrical things, install a ceiling fan-rated box and run a wire from the current box. I am concerned with the work and wanted some help in reviewing it. I have pictures and video at the end of this post.

First of all, I count 14 14 gauge wires plus all the grounds one of which is 14 gauge and the rest I believe are 16 gauge (older wiring). By my calculations (please correct me if I'm wrong) that's 28 cu in for the wires, 2 cu in for the ground, and 2 cu in for the internal cable clamps making 32 cu inches being needed. This is an old box and is 1.5 inches deep and visually very crowded. This box when it had a light fixture on it was likely exceeding the box fill requirements in and of itself, but I don't think it's appropriate to be adding more wires to it. Would it be appropriate for me to tell him these calculations and to ask him to replace this box at this point to one of a more appropriate size?

He told me he had to twist the box around in order to maneuver in the new wire. This has left the box somewhat loose in my opinion as shown in the video. Is that ok?

This box is old and never was grounded (doesn't even have a spot for a ground screw), but should the box be grounded (maybe a grounding clip?) when new work is done on it?

It also seems the new wire (the only visible white romex) was wrapped around the side of the box and under existing wires. That I'm not sure is actually an issue, but I was not expecting it.

Please let me know if you see anything else.

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx13/DIYnewbie9/?action=view&current=Electrical.mp4

Old 01-24-12, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Based on your conductor count the box is way overfilled. That box is only listed for 7 #14's.

The box should be bonded to the grounding conductor with a screw or a clip.

Hard to tell about the box being loose. The bracket are typically only on one side and will flex if pushed on the other side.

Old 01-24-12, 05:07 PM
D
Based on your conductor count the box is way overfilled. That box is only listed for 7 #14's.
Was my box fill calculation correct at 32 cu in? I just want to make sure the correction to this issue isn't also undersized.

Hard to tell about the box being loose. The bracket are typically only on one side and will flex if pushed on the other side.
This box is suspended between the two beams and is hanging from a bar. It was not originally the kind that you just nail into the beam on e side.

Old 01-24-12, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You math seems correct.

now typing for additional characters.

Old 01-31-12, 10:56 AM
P
NEC Art. 314-21 requires that any "gap" between a flush outlet-box and the surrounding wall or ceiling finish be filled in with a substance appropriate for the purpose.

Old 01-31-12, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
As far as the "looseness" goes, I have seen plastic boxes (fan rated or not) move much more than that so I feel it is a non-issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: