Drill Power Switch Replacement

Old 01-28-12, 06:01 PM
Drill Power Switch Replacement

I have a 12VDC cordless drill and need to replace the standard 'trigger' power switch with a 60mm sliding power switch. The battery is rated at 12VDC/17Wh and the motor is rated at 12VDC/10.1 amps. Can anyone tell me what item I need to power this? Thank you for your assistance.

Tony L

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-12, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Can anyone tell me what item I need to power this?
I don't understand your question. Power what?

Old 01-29-12, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
Your thread title mentions replacing the switch but you ask about powering it. Are you asking about a new switch or something about a different battery? In either case you did not say what brand or model drill you have so we can not offer much help.

In general, for a switch replacement, I either buy the proper replacement switch or just start looking though catalogs/online trying to find something that I think I can make work. Finding a switch that will work electrically is pretty easy. Finding one that fit's the tools housing and plastic trigger is much more difficult.

If you were asking about batteries you need to find one specific for your tool if you just want to buy the whole pack. You can also replace the individual cells inside your pack. The most difficult part of the job is usually getting the plastic battery case open without destroying it.

Old 01-29-12, 06:53 AM
I have a 12VDC cordless drill and need to replace the standard 'trigger' power switch with a 60mm sliding power switch.
I am thinking this would have to be an older model, I don't believe there are many, if any, 12 volt models from any manufacturer on the market today. Because of the little information, I am assuming you have a "standard" on off trigger switch and want to replace it with a "variable speed" trigger switch, is that right? If that is correct, you may have an economy cordless drill, most come with variable speed switches. More information is required to develop an opinion and/or recommendation, manufacturer and model number are needed.

Old 01-29-12, 09:08 AM
My apologies for the confusing description, I should have not used the word 'power' in the final sentence. I have a brand new 12VDC cordless drill but I need for for a different application and using the standard trigger switch just won't work, I need an external sliding switch. In short, I want to replace this:

with something like this:

My electronics experience is limited and finding the correct one has been a challenge, I was hoping someone here might be able to assist. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Tony

Old 01-29-12, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
You can normally control a dc motor with a rheostat or potentiometer but the last drill I replaced a variable switch on had some electronics inside of the switch.

You will also find that a drill, cordless or otherwise is not designed for continuous duty meaning that there will be a limit on how long you can run it.

What exactly are you going to do with the drill that you need to modify it?

Old 01-29-12, 10:12 AM
My switch just broke one week ago, now Iím contemplating rather a new drill or new switch is in order. Iím leaning towards a new drill (Faster and straight forward). Iím with Greg, why are you modifying a new drill? Or do yo mean the drill is newly acquired, but not a new drill?