Recommendation for upgrading living room lighting

Old 01-30-12, 01:03 PM
Recommendation for upgrading living room lighting

Hello,

This is my first post, so hopefully I include the necessary information for you to assist. If not, please feel free to ask and I will reply quickly.

I am about to start upgrading my living room lighting. I would like to add 6 recessed lights and one nice center light. I currently use lamps only, so the room is very dark and it is starting to bother my eyes. The room is pretty large with a vaulted ceiling. The house was built in the 80s, but I hear that cheap materials were used throughout the house. I notice that I throw a breaker when I use the vacuum with other things like the TV going.

My question Should I run my new lighting off of a currently installed light switch, add a new switch or maybe look into upgrading or adding a new breaker box?

Your help is most appreciated.

Taseis

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-12, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
If you are tripping a breaker when run the vac, it might be better you run a new circuit for your new lighting. Replacing the panel is likely not need as you can add a sub panel fairly easily.

Old 01-30-12, 07:01 PM
Thanks. I will look into understanding running a new circuit or sub panel and come back if I have any further questions.

Thanks

Old 01-30-12, 10:37 PM
Some vacs will pull up to 80% of a 15 amp circuit. Im with a Tolyn, a new circuit for the lighting seems idea. May even want to limit the load on the circuit that trips when the van is utilized.